SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just bought our first sailboat (CS 36 Merlin) sight unseen in the British Virgin Islands. God only knows why, but we decided that we ought to put our budding young careers on hold and go bob around the Caribbean for a year or two. Since both buying a boat sight unseen and quitting the corporate are fairly unconventional (imprudent?) life decisions, we decided to write a bit about it. Given that this particular forum is specifically focused on boat buying, I present to you:

An Extremely Subjective Guide to Buying a Sailboat in the Caribbean
Part 1 - The Decision
Part 2 - Gauging the Market
Part 3 - The Criteria
Part 4 - Yacht Brokers
Part 5 - Finding a Boat, Makin' Deals

Full disclosure - I have posted this little "guide" elsewhere, but I think it's worth sharing because
A. You can laugh at our naivete
B. There might actually be a couple of gems to learn from out of our experience
C. Most importantly, we love connecting with other folks. Whether it's just a quick chat, a question about why or what we've done, or best of all, meeting up on our travels, the people are a huge part of what are already making this journey into the cruising life so exciting.

Take care,

Will (and Cat) on S/V Paradox

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck! Enjoy life while you're young. My wife & I are boat shopping in Annapolis this weekend.
Mike
Buying the boat in-country and going to see it with your own eyes? Clearly a smarter man than me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I happened to find your blog before your post here. It was a good read and I will be keeping up with you guys. I'm on a 5-6 year plan. Waiting on retirement, but hopefully won't be to old. 50 now... We will see how it goes. :)

·
Barquito
3,566 Posts
Thanks, Will. That was a great write-up! I learned a lot. I would be interested to know from other experienced boat buyers, or sellers, what you would change in Will's posts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Will. That was a great write-up! I learned a lot. I would be interested to know from other experienced boat buyers, or sellers, what you would change in Will's posts?
I'm guessing they'd say:

1. Go see the boat with your own damn eyes!
2. Don't buy the first boat you get your heart set on
3. Get a bigger budget

Thanks for taking the time to read through it. Much appreciated.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hookin' up at Yacht Week - then goin' big?

Oh hell yeah!!

Oh and this part...

And if the trip never materialized, I’d end up 40 years old, fat, bitter and a pain in her ass.
That happens anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hookin' up at Yacht Week - then goin' big?

Oh hell yeah!!

Oh and this part...

That happens anyway.
Hah, yea I never expected to end up with a wife out of skippering The Yacht Week.

Most surprisingly, I'm not even the only one! I know of at least three other Yacht Week skippers that have married guests and bunch others in serious relationships. Guess the debauchery has to stop some time...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Bumfuzzles the second?

Good luck with your adventure. I've bookmarked your site and will be following.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Enjoyed reading your blog. Good info and entertaining.

I think I would have had the broker narrow the choices down to a handful of top contenders and then go see them, but sounds like what you did worked. The choice to buy there and then sail back to the US is a great one. If I were you I would not stop at Florida next spring, but continue up to the Northeast and spend the summer in New England, then put the boat up for sale.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the comments, gents! The posts will probably run a little lean for the next month while we pack up life in San Francisco, but expect some good ones when we get down to the boat and find out what kind of mess we got ourselves into.

·
Registered
131 Posts
expect some good ones when we get down to the boat and find out what kind of mess we got ourselves into.
The posts you have so far are pretty good. But the great posts are the surprise ones!! :eek

·
Registered
45 Posts
Awesome read and great story!

And if you want to quit your current job and want to write for a living, I'm sure you will do fine!

·
Boatless
16 Posts
Will & Cat

Informative and externally well written. I started the blog and it had me hooked. I read till the end. You provided info that I had looked for but hadn't found.

I wish you the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading all the positive feedback I tried opening one of the 5 linked topics.
One opened but I could not get any others to load, now the original fails as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried every combination and got the same result.
I next tried loading IE. and all worked fine, guess the blog
does not like firefox.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I have script blockers running in Firefox, and they tell me there are scripts running on those linked pages, which they are blocking.

In MSIE I have different security settings, and they're allowing the pages to run without complaint.

So the problem is almost certainly "there's stuff on this page that is a potential security risk" and the particular security settings, not the browser, are what are causing it to fail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts