SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I recently met this really cool singlehanded liveaboard cruiser guy named Ben while he had his Nonsuch 26 sailboat on the free dock in Oriental, North Carolina. He had an amazing story to tell of his life and about sailing and cruising in general. So I interviewed him for your enjoyment!

Ben Stookey was introduced to sailing at a very young age by his parents. His father sailed a 21 foot sailboat from England to Antigua in the Mini Transat Race in 1977. When Ben was 14, his parents bought a boat in Finland they spent years cruising all over Europe. Ben's first year of high school was in Spain. Today, Ben lives aboard a Nonsuch 26 named 'Swallow.' He is currently cruising the US East coast, and earning a living from computer programming remotely aboard his boat using a wifi connection.

What do you think?

Ben and I are hoping to rendezvous our boats in Nova Scotia next Spring/Summer. From there I plan to I sail my Westsail 42 'Paragon' on to Iceland, and then hike across it on foot with Eanna Ryan, but that will be another story...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too much chit chat. I wanted a tour of the boat!
Hi brokesailor, ya sorry it's gonna take a little while before I get to editing that episode. But I've reviewed all the footage and I think they're all going to be great episodes! :) I'm doing my best to produce at least one new video each week, and am trying to stay ahead of filming, editing, working on Paragon, my job, voyage planning, eating, sleeping... BTW, after 3 months of living on and working on my boat Paragon on the hard, tomorrow we get launched in the water! One big step! Thanks and cheers, Drake

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's part 2 of my interview with cruiser Ben Stookey...

Ben talks about when he decided to find a sailboat for cruising, about the pros and cons of the wishbone rig on his Nonsuch 26, solar power, his favorite cruising boat gear, and food aboard and ashore. He also offers words of advice for those thinking about following in his footsteps.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An interview with liveaboard cruiser Ben Stookey, Part 3

In Part 3, Ben talks about where's he's sailed, some of the most difficult sailing situations he's experienced, encountering dangerous conditions in the Gulf Stream, heaving to, and his future plans.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! Here it is! :)

video: Cabin Tour of s/v Nonsuch 26 'Swallow'

A guided tour of the cabin of Ben Stookey's Nonsuch 26 liveaboard cruising sailboat. While looking through his library of cruising books, Ben highlights and highly recommends **Annie Hill's wonderful book "Voyaging on a Small Income"**

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great job on the editing Drake. I can't believe I watched all episodes in one sitting. My compliments to you.
Thank you armandolio!

Happy New Year!!!

I'm really excited about our sailing and video producing plans for 2013. I plan to move my Westsail 42 'Paragon' to the anchorage in Oriental, North Carolina at the end of February, and to start sailing north in early March. We'll sail 800+ nautical miles up the coast, stopping in New York City, Newport, and finally Boston. Then I'm planning on sailing offshore to Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Faroe, Scotland, and to arrive in Ireland by October 1st.

I will be filming nonstop for the 7 months of the voyage and plan to spend the next 6 months after that in Ireland or England in post production editing of several dozen, or maybe even hundreds of episodes.

I hope that our videos will tell a wonderful, uplifting and riveting story, and that the viewer will feel like they are experiencing the adventure with us.

All the best, happy sailing, and Happy New Year!

Drake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.