SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Boat Owner,

I appreciate that selling your beloved boat is difficult for you. You have fond memories of time spent out on the water with friends. You have more sweat equity in your boat than can ever be repaid. I know, I understand. That being said, there are a couple of points I'd like to mention.

1. Please do not ask me to get excited about the fact that you had a bottom job done on your boat x number of years ago. Your boat is 20 years old, this is called maintenance. This is especially true if you are the original owner and this was the first time you've actually paid any attention to the bottom in 20 years of ownership. I promise in exchange to not expect you to get excited that I changed my oil once in 15,000 miles when you go to buy my car.

2. Replacing busted blocks with pulleys from Home Depot does not constitute " all new rigging".

3. I understand that you paid a ginormous amount of money for your Superphonic Funkmaster 3000 speakers that are mounted in the cockpit so that all of your marina neighbors can have their heartbeat changed by the bass frequency. That doesn't necessarily constitute added value for me and no, I am not going to pay 4k over the insured value of the boat for them.

4. If your winches are completely frozen, you might not want to list them as a feature.

5. Likewise, if you are listing a sail inventory you might want to think twice if the sails are mildewed and ripped.

6. Yes, BUC and NADA are on the low end of valuation and Boat Wizard can only tell you what these boats have been selling for but no, they are not "total crap" and no, your boat is not worth 150% more than any of these suggested values just because "that's what I have in the boat". You bought it years ago, its a depreciating asset. This might be the reason your boat has been for sale for 2 years with no offers.

7. If you have a scheduled showing of your boat, on the day of the showing it might be a good idea to take out the empty trash bag of beer cans from the sink and the leftovers from your Popeye's Fried Chicken from a week ago. What is definitely a good idea is to pickup the dirty underwear off of the settee.

Your still boatless pal,
Mimsy

( And yes, these are all real instances from the last 3 weeks of looking. Thought I'd start looking at FSBO boats. Maybe not the most time efficient way to find a boat, back to Yachtworld it is)

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,180 Posts
Damn, you could write a book based on the last 3 weeks alone!

I won't tell you about the overpriced, 'mint condition, meticulously maintained by owner' boat I looked at with my wife that was literally caked half an inch thick in seagull poo. The broker himself ended up vomitting over the side from the stench.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Unfortunately, there are a lot of boat owners that think their boat is worth its weight in gold ballast.
Dear Boat Owner,

I appreciate that selling your beloved boat is difficult for you. You have fond memories of time spent out on the water with friends. You have more sweat equity in your boat than can ever be repaid. I know, I understand. That being said, there are a couple of points I'd like to mention.

1. Please do not ask me to get excited about the fact that you had a bottom job done on your boat x number of years ago. Your boat is 20 years old, this is called maintenance. This is especially true if you are the original owner and this was the first time you've actually paid any attention to the bottom in 20 years of ownership. I promise in exchange to not expect you to get excited that I changed my oil once in 15,000 miles when you go to buy my car.

2. Replacing busted blocks with pulleys from Home Depot does not constitute " all new rigging".

3. I understand that you paid a ginormous amount of money for your Superphonic Funkmaster 3000 speakers that are mounted in the cockpit so that all of your marina neighbors can have their heartbeat changed by the bass frequency. That doesn't necessarily constitute added value for me and no, I am not going to pay 4k over the insured value of the boat for them.

4. If your winches are completely frozen, you might not want to list them as a feature.

5. Likewise, if you are listing a sail inventory you might want to think twice if the sails are mildewed and ripped.

6. Yes, BUC and NADA are on the low end of valuation and Boat Wizard can only tell you what these boats have been selling for but no, they are not "total crap" and no, your boat is not worth 150% more than any of these suggested values just because "that's what I have in the boat". You bought it years ago, its a depreciating asset. This might be the reason your boat has been for sale for 2 years with no offers.

7. If you have a scheduled showing of your boat, on the day of the showing it might be a good idea to take out the empty trash bag of beer cans from the sink and the leftovers from your Popeye's Fried Chicken from a week ago. What is definitely a good idea is to pickup the dirty underwear off of the settee.

Your still boatless pal,
Mimsy

( And yes, these are all real instances from the last 3 weeks of looking. Thought I'd start looking at FSBO boats. Maybe not the most time efficient way to find a boat, back to Yachtworld it is)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Mimsy

you are dead on with these...somehow when the seller owns it, it is worth $$$$, yet when you own it, it is only worth $.

Having been on both ends - I second the bottom paint, as if it were the magic thing. When I sold my Sabre, at the first offer I told the potential buyer, she needs bottom paint, and if you want her, will pay up to $XXX for paint, or you can have it painted "your way". In either case he got to see the real bottom. I think sometimes a seller just paints the bottom to hide or cover over something.

I would also add for the current owner to remove those things that will not go with the boat and for brokers/owners to use real pictures of the boat for sale, not something close. That burns me to find out when you get there, the boat doesn't match the photos, or half the safety gear "doesn't go" after you have made an offer.

Good luck on your search...I have a nice hunter if you are interested.

dave

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My favorite was the beer, fried chicken dirty undies boat. It was more akin to a clubhouse for the "He Man Women Haters Club' than a sailing vessel. I imagine the owner hanging out with his friends Bubba, JP and Earl watching the game in their underwear. I try to stop imagining when I try to come up for a reason for the tighty whiteys to come off and land on the settee...lol

Fortunately, I have a sense of humor about these things. The flip side is that I saw an older boat than I normally would have considered that really has been well taken care of and because I appreciate this, I am willing to entertain the thought of paying a bit more than actual value. Hard to say at this time because I really don't like the master cabin being up front...it has been well cared for though.

·
19,488 Posts
Well said, Mimsy! It's amazing what some sellers' expectations are, and how far they are from reality. I'd add that the brokers should take on some accountability, and that they too should make an effort to ensure that any listed boats are in show-able condition and clean. We've looked at boats that we were afraid to sit down in for lack of cleaning, mildew/mold, etc.

The brokers' cut can be substantial for rather minimal effort, in our experience.

Not exactly putting on their best "face" for any prospective buyer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have purchased 2 boats from the same broker over the years and got both of them for what I thought was a fabulous price - way under value - because the boats were absolutely filthy, had 2 or 3 inches of standing water on the cabin sole, etc. Both owners were out of state and counting on this broker to sell their boats. I would never use this guy to sell but I'll continue to buy from him.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd add that the brokers should take on some accountability, and that they too should make an effort to ensure that any listed boats are in show-able condition and clean. We've looked at boats that we were afraid to sit down in for lack of cleaning, mildew/mold, etc.
I work at a brokerage, and our business is finding buyers and selling boats. We're not a detailing outfit. With about 80 listings (really a low number for us), we would have to clean over two boats a day just to keep the average boat in "cleaned within the last month" condition. A month can be a long time in tropical Florida. I can suggest to owners that they hire people who ARE in the cleaning business, or that they clean their boats, do routine maintenance, remove clutter, etc. but that's all I can really do.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Keep shopping Mim. Also check ebay and Craigslist. Like dating, you have to go through a lot of rocks to find a jewel. I've looked at boats (and women) that you couldn't give away, but I finally found one of each that make me happy. Consider it a Quest.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Mimsy,

Got this PM from Cam. He doesn't post much on Sailnet anymore, so I had to post it for him. I hope this clear a few things up for you.

Couldn't believe it CD! THis gal was gonna come over and look at our boat. Had to clean up in a real hurry. First thing I decided to do was run out the sheep. It ain't that they stink up nothin, but I wanted to make sure she'd not think them things was going with the boat!! I got em all out, then open the back cabin, and who's back there but Sailaway. Whew! He does stink. I'd run out of those little tree air freshners, so I pulled off me Whity Tities and hung em appropriately and all that. I tried to wake up Sway, but he was passed out in the back cabin. In one hand he had a bottle (empty), in the other a cleat. Yep... done broke off another cleat. Guess that's what happens when ya full throttle outta the dock with your lines still on. I try to stop him CD, but he keeps tellin me that if it always worked on the Valdez, couldn't see why he should change his style for no sailboat. So I just pulled the covers over him and covered up his face with pillows. Didn't figure the gal would ever notice. Far as I'm concerned, he CAN go with the boat.

Well, given as I knew she was gonna have to take Sway in the deal, I decided to throw in a little extra sommin and all. A good dinner and drink goes a long way and ain't nobody doesn't love Fried Chicken and Milwaakee's Best. Shoot, I even splurged for the six pack and extra crispy from Popeyes... seein as how it's goin on a boat and all. Got keep it to it nautical CD. Luckily, I found a ole coupon in the dumpster behind... them losers at Popeye's never tear em up. HEHE! Always works. Even found a couple of wings ain't nobody had touched. Waste not, want not, CD... that's my sayin'!!

So I's get back to the boat and waited. Then waited sum more. Course, since I bought the chicken and all, didn't figure as she would mind me havin one or two of em. And you know that chicken gives a man frighten' bad breath... so I washed her down with a lill' brewskies. Felt kinda bad cuz by the time she arrives and all, I'd done drunk most of em. Did leave her a bite of chicken though (not them wings I found... wanted to treat her right and give her the fresh stuff, you know).

Then she comes down the ladder, holding her hand's up to her nose. She don't say nothin about how good the place looks or nothin. First words outta her mouth is, "What's that smell??" For a moment there CD, I'd thought I'd lost a deal and maybe she could smell Sway through the closed door. Then I thought, "Na... she means that in a good way." I smile at her and tell her the smell comes from the boat... always smelt like that since I been aboard her."

Then you know what? Next question outta her mouth is, "When's the last time you had a bottom job?" Whew! I tell her, "Honey, this is the bottom that the Good Lord gave me. Ain't never had no bottom job. THese man boobs are real too."

Lookin back now, I probably shouldn't had said that. She turns green and all and runs back up the steps. I shoulda told her that them was fake, I guess. Shows a little more class and money and all, but I ain't one to brag too often.

So anyways, I'm thinkin I probably sold the boat - off to gettin' my Telstar like I been sayin. But you figure I oughta tell her about Sway, or just let her be surprised on her way out to sea? More important, you think I oughta charge her extra for the cleat he has? Didn't think about puttin that in the extra gear included.

Thanks CD. You a good friend.

Signed,

Captain Cammy

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
I work at a brokerage, and our business is finding buyers and selling boats. We're not a detailing outfit. With about 80 listings (really a low number for us), we would have to clean over two boats a day just to keep the average boat in "cleaned within the last month" condition. A month can be a long time in tropical Florida. I can suggest to owners that they hire people who ARE in the cleaning business, or that they clean their boats, do routine maintenance, remove clutter, etc. but that's all I can really do.
HEY!!

Are you a "full service" brokerage??

I expect "full service!!"

And while yer at it, filler up, will ya Boy?? ;)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Cam would never buy a Telstar like my lovely boat.. he'd have no place to stow his sheep.. :)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I imagine the owner hanging out with his friends Bubba, JP and Earl watching the game in their underwear.
Hey I know Bubba. Goes by the name of Mike sometimes.
He's a good friend of mine. He post stuff here on occasion about is wife being a Licensed Master and Combat Nurse. He even tried to sell her to a guy who wants to hunt pirates.
Next time you see old Bubba, tell him hi from Tim for me.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Hey there he is again right above me in post number 17.
Hey Bubba, did you get rid of da wife yet?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I don't know bout nothing.
But our methods were different.
I suggest looking for "Slightly Used Boats."
Of course your budget has a lot to do with this, but we searched for a good two years on Yachworld. I had a pretty good idea of what I was looking for.
When the right boat came along, we looked at her on the Yacht world page and I knew she was the one. We drove 5 hours with our checkbook in hand, looked and put our money down in one day. At the time we bought her she was 4 years old.
She was in sailaway condition.
Electronics were only 4 years old, everything was in working condition and we negotioated that if it was not, it was to be repaired or replaced by the previous owner.
In the Spring we slapped some bottom paint on her, addd a few more options, and off we sailed.
If your budget allows it, I suggest you narrow your search.
We looked at one boat.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts