SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lovely, gentle, kind creatures... But that's enough about yacht delivery skippers.

We met a very angry Orca off the coast of Spain. He (or she) bashed into our rudder around 15 times causing us to lose steerage completely. We were left bouncing arounfd in 2 to 3 metres of swell unil the coastguard came to tow us to safety.

The yacht has now been hauled out. The rudder is cracked and the hull has teeth marks in it!!! Luckily we were sailing a very strong Hallberg-Rassy!

Pete

·
Registered
33 Posts
I heard about this in the news. I sail in salt water but it is pretty far removed from the actual ocean. Still since I'm only in a 15ft WWP that's terrifying! A killer whale could absolutely sink/eat me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
It seems too that they are targeting sailboats in particular. I can't figure out why they would choose sailboats, I thought we were the more environmentally friendly types, lol. Maybe power boats scare them off with the engine noise?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,142 Posts
When my teenaged son smacked up his car, he came home and said he hit a deer. I didn’t see any hair in the broken trim. You were smart enough to apply teeth marks. 😀

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
It seems a number of boats have been attacked - some damaged. Article in the NYT today interviews a marine biologist who thinks a single pod of whales is responsible.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,270 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,270 Posts
Regarding the frequency of incidents involving Orcas:
"In the last two months, from southern to northern Spain, sailors have sent distress calls after worrying encounters. Two boats lost part of their rudders, at least one crew member suffered bruising from the impact of the ramming, and several boats sustained serious damage.

The latest incident occurred on Friday afternoon just off A Coruña, on the northern coast of Spain. Halcyon Yachts was taking a 36ft boat to the UK when an orca rammed its stern at least 15 times, according to Pete Green, the company’s managing director. The boat lost steering and was towed into port to assess damage.

Around the same time there were radio warnings of orca sightings 70 miles south, at Vigo, near the site of at least two recent collisions. On 30 August, a French-flagged vessel radioed the coastguard to say it was “under attack” from killer whales. Later that day, a Spanish naval yacht, Mirfak, lost part of its rudder after an encounter with orcas under the stern."

The accompanying article is also VERY interesting; 'I've never seen or heard of attacks': scientists baffled by orcas harassing boats

Reactions: ThereYouAre

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,691 Posts
How do you know this isn't the happiest Orca out there. He had the gumption to do what every other wants to do but is too polite to do so. This one has had enough and is making a stand.

Black and white lives matter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts