SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
So in otherwords, challo found CD's blinken yuppie anchor?!?!?!?! how kewl..........er.........

maybe not, that shows that CD can really sail his Catalina here there and everywhere.......that would be bad!

Mr Winston

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hmmm.... What's a Yuppy anchor look like; is it one of the new fangled mantus, rocna, manson types or something other. I would like a new anchor of the rocna style and I can always spray it with some gray rustoleum to not appear too snobby amongst the humble cruiser lot. Hopefully the chain is just normal stuff (I hate painting chain). If its not a cqr or Danforth, I would like to buy it. Shipping must be less that $9999.00.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
A few years ago I did some work aboard a US Naval vessel. I boarded in Hong Kong and transited to Pearl - with a 5-hour stop at Iwo Jima. Cool trip and a story for another day.

But regarding lost anchors: when I got aboard the ship there was some consternation. It seems that the CO given the 'Bring ship to anchor' command. The anchor was released, but, somehow, was not connected to the ship. Woops!

Fortunately a change of command had already been scheduled.

So if you ever find yourself in Hong Kong Harbour you may want to drag a dredge - you never know what you might pull up.

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I reckon who ever abandoned it was completely hapless.
A Jacket wearing, Yacht Club show off in a fancy European boat, who probably just let the whole thing out because he put his beer down accidentally on the windlass button and didn't have the bitter end tied off.

Waht kind of sailor would use just a stainless steel anchor??

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hey Challo, throw it back in. My mistake. I apologize. Apparently the anchor in question had a pair of skid-row ******-tighties tied to it... Not a brazeer. Many apologies to all for the misunderstanding.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Chall being the gentleman he is, or at least a cad with a guilty conscience did throw it back in so the Womboat's Stainless Steel Bruce is back home where he belongs.

What a bloody schemozzle. Diver reckons it was an anchor graveyard down there.

And now for the free plugs ....

Dave Stenhouse from Murrayhouse Yacht Brokerage was going to to do the dive but the silly old duffer's outboard decided it was a rostered day off. Dave very kindly arranged for someone else to come over and give us a hand. thanks Dave, thanks Deniz. About | Murray House

Time to get diver's ticket methinks.

and :p :p to the lot of you.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Chall being the gentleman he is, or at least a cad with a guilty conscience did throw it back in so the Womboat's Stainless Steel Bruce is back home where he belongs.

What a bloody schemozzle. Diver reckons it was an anchor graveyard down there.

And now for the free plugs ....

Dave Stenhouse from Murrayhouse Yacht Brokerage was going to to do the dive but the silly old duffer's outboard decided it was a rostered day off. Dave very kindly arranged for someone else to come over and give us a hand. thanks Dave, thanks Deniz. About | Murray House

Time to get diver's ticket methinks.

and :p :p to the lot of you.
Haha! Welcome to the club Brother. At least you weren't dumb enough to bend your roller down and make a bad day a financial nightmare!!! Mine was the very first time to hit the water too!!! Ahh, it aint called BOAT (bust out another thousand) for nothing!!!

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Haha! Welcome to the club Brother. At least you weren't dumb enough to bend your roller down and make a bad day a financial nightmare!!! Mine was the very first time to hit the water too!!! Ahh, it aint called BOAT (bust out another thousand) for nothing!!!
aha .... now at least I have some justification for that silly through stem anchor roller fitting they use on Malos.

Oi ... Chall .... hapless ? Well I never .... well not all that much. :p

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Please say it aint so fuzzy!!!!!!!!!

he lost an anchor, and a dang YUPPY on at that!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Say it is not sooooooooooooo

oh man, I am so disapointed in mr fuzzy,

he shant be me hero any more!:(:(:(:(

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Please say it aint so fuzzy!!!!!!!!!

he lost an anchor, and a dang YUPPY on at that!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Say it is not sooooooooooooo

oh man, I am so disapointed in mr fuzzy,

he shant be me hero any more!:(:(:(:(
Not lost old mate, merely misplaced for a short time.

For anyone actually interested ... we anchored out on Saturday afternoon but although we were not dragging something simply felt amiss, so we hauled, or attempted to haul, the tackle back in only to realise that we were well and truly snagged. Paid out about 90 odd metres of chain, buoyed it and today had a diver go down to untangle.

Apparently there was/is a whole pile of anchors sitting on the bottom, big ones not small boat size. The bay we were in was once home to a breakers yard so some crap on the bottom (no pun intended) is not all that surprising. We anchor in that bay probably 20 times a year, once ran aground on a sunken yacht (she was so soft we went straight through her) and once picked up a metal staircase which we towed out into deep deep water before letting the damn thing loose. This time round though we were stuck fast. Just have to remember not to anchor in that exact spot again.

Such it is. Alls well that ends well so they say.

Reactions: smackdaddy
1 - 20 of 33 Posts