SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refitting a Pacific Seacraft 37 that I have owned for many years. I plan to begin an extensive period of cruising and living aboard and am installing an anchor windlass and chain rode. I believe that I will be using 5/16 G43 chain. I would like to buy 200 feet, but am worried that it will be too much weight to carry in the chain locker and will change her sailing trim, as it will weigh about 210 lbs.
Is this a reasonable amount of chain to carry on a boat of this size, or will it be too heavy?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ahoy DH,
I have 200 feet of 5/16 chain plus 75 feet of rope and a 45 lb. anchor managed by a Lofrans Tigres windlass. My forward water tank is usually full.
I have not experienced any adverse effects.
I hope this helps.
Bill

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have 275 feet of 5/16 chain and about 6 feet of line on the main anchor and
30 feet of chain and the rest line on the backup anchor. Primary anchor is a
45 lb CQR and backup is a 33lb Bruce. The line on the main anchor is spliced to chain and a bulkhead connection. If I need to leave the anchor the chain gets let out the line cut. The Bruce has basically never been used, so the spare anchor on the bow may be gotten rid of.

No ill effects on the trim. On the Crealock 37 the concern seem to be more on keeping weight out of the stern rather then the bow to maintain trim.

I have a Lofrens Cayman which is pretty much identical to the Tigres except that the Cayman lacks the cleat the Tigres has. Been very happy with its performance. Installed it on the boat around 1996 replacing a manual windless and it was one of the best upgrades I have ever done on the boat.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul

I will post my decision here.....I think that I will go with 200+ feet of 5/16 chain. I like Mark Hall's approach.....lots of chain and a short piece of line attaching it to the chain locker.

I had been looking at high end windlasses.....man, are they expensive! The Lighthouse and Ideal are very robust, but at least $1500 more. The Lofrans look like they are very satisfactory and are much less expensive, so I will probably go that way.

I wonder what other windlasses PS owners use and love?

David

·
Maine Dub
215 Posts
I use a 3 year old Lewmar H2 with gypsy and drum. It has a remote and a manual reversion kit. It's the most used and best investment yet. I didn't notice too much weight in the bow until I had 100 feet of 3/8 chain on one side and 90 feet of 5/16 on the other and 100 pounds of anchor and a full forward water tank. I switched to a lighter Manson on 60 feet of 5/16 and 200 feet of rope and a 35 pound bruce(spare) with 20 feet of 3/8 chain and 200 feet rope. Sails well now. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, Maine Dub, really helpful!
Where do you keep your boat? Home port for Margalo is Buck's Harbor. Love it there and can reach a lot of great cruising areas easily.

·
Maine Dub
215 Posts
Coorie Doon is moored in Belfast. I love Bucks. She is on the hard in Winterport for the winter. I believe "Cookie" , another PSC 34, is one of your neighbors at Bucks. I'll keep an eye out for Margalo next spring. Al

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dear folks,

This is a great thread because it is so good to know what people are actually using and what they went through to get there. Below is my experience but please remember that this is for East Coast UAS and Bahamas sailing.

When Imi and I first took off for the Bahamas we had 90' of 3/8" BBB and 250' of 5/8" Brait. That winter I found I was frequently worrying about the rope being chafed through on some bit of coral during wind/tide changes. I am not sure that fear was entirely rational but it was enough to disturb my sleep. When I replaced the chain I went to 120' of chain with 230' of Brait.

The results? In 98% of the anchoring situations I encountered from Maine to FL and the Bahamas I never even let out all 120' of chain and so had to use a snubber. When it was blowing hard I might have out all the chain and 30' of Brait which gave a wonderfully soft ride. And watching carefully for even slight signs of abrasion at the splice I saw none and concluded that when it was blowing like snot the Brait was spending most of its time up off the seabed and so not in danger.

I slept well.

I hope this helps your deliberations.

Jay
PSC 37 # 171, Kenlanu
Buck's Harbor, ME

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm planning on buying more chain this year, both for the extra length I might need in Nova Scotia, but also for the effect on boat trim. I don' have much on the stern of the boat, but I have found she squats a little, even with the bow tank full. When under power the squat is even more pronounced. So I'm eager to see what she'll do with some more metal in the bow locker!

·
Registered
15 Posts
We carry 350' of HT G4 Chain on our main anchor, a 35lb Manson Supreme and 100' chain on our secondary, a 33lb Bruce, with 300' 3 strand nylon. There are MANY times I've used all 350' on our primary and been very happy to have it, but depths here in the Pacific NW warrant such scope.

·
Banned
263 Posts
The very first time I dropped my anchor was in 80 feet of water in the middle of the night sheltering behind an island I couldn't see. I have 200'+ of chain on one anchor and lots of chain and even more rope rode on the other. The boat didn't drag, but I would have liked to put out lots more rode. Moral of the story: more is better.

The problem is getting it all back into the chain locker in a way that makes dropping anchor the next time easy. The chain can pile up and fall over itself, preventing it from coming out easily during the next deployment. Ideally you can push the chain down into the bottom/aft part of the chain locker as you bring it in, but that ain't easy when you're in a hurry and single handed.

2004 PS37

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
ante2ope,

I'm making the change from 180' upto about 320' of 5/16 chain in my psc 34 with a Lighthouse Windlass that has a large vertical motor under the deck. Just how easy or hard is it to get that much chain in the chain locker? Seems it would be quite an undertaking. As I spend all most of my anchoring time in 50-80' of water I feel better with the additional chain and scope.

Best regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have heard good things about the Lighthouse Windlass - we have a Muir Cougar - all above decks. As far as the holding space for the chain goes, there is need whilst raising for at least the first 200 or so foot, to use a long rod to help shove the chain back into the aft compartment (past the divider). After that the rest flakes nicely. My wife sometimes goes below to help it out. It's a pain, but we feel more comfortable anchoring knowing we have the extra rode to do the job.

I've heard of folks removing the divider to allow for more room - but that leaves you without an easy backup supply of rode at the bow... /shrug.

-David & Lang
-SV Sappire

·
Banned
263 Posts
ante2ope,

... Just how easy or hard is it to get that much chain in the chain locker? Seems it would be quite an undertaking. ...
Exactly the same as S/V Sapphire: I have a stick/poker to push the chain into the aft end of chain locker (starboard side of locker divider) as it comes aboard. I push the poker through the port deck hawsepipe hole. It's not elegant, but it works. You just need to be sure that most of the chain goes into the bottom (aft) of the chain locker instead of piling up in the forward end -- from which it will probably topple over backwards and prevent deploying the chain the next time, when Murphy's Law says you'll really need it to come out fast.

And when I have a willing first mate aboard, I sometimes let him/her bring the chain up while I go below to guide the chain into the locker, or vice-versa (but it's a sweaty job on a hot day).

I have a Muir vertical electric windlass, with the chain dropping straight down via a hawsepipe extension tube (if that's what it's called). A hawsepipe extension cantered a bit aft might work well in stowing the chain better, but then you wouldn't be able to use the forward part of the chain locker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.