SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refitting a Pacific Seacraft 37 that I have owned for many years. I plan to begin an extensive period of cruising and living aboard and am installing an anchor windlass and chain rode. I believe that I will be using 5/16 G43 chain. I would like to buy 200 feet, but am worried that it will be too much weight to carry in the chain locker and will change her sailing trim, as it will weigh about 210 lbs.
Is this a reasonable amount of chain to carry on a boat of this size, or will it be too heavy?

· Registered
21 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul

I will post my decision here.....I think that I will go with 200+ feet of 5/16 chain. I like Mark Hall's approach.....lots of chain and a short piece of line attaching it to the chain locker.

I had been looking at high end windlasses.....man, are they expensive! The Lighthouse and Ideal are very robust, but at least $1500 more. The Lofrans look like they are very satisfactory and are much less expensive, so I will probably go that way.

I wonder what other windlasses PS owners use and love?

David

· Registered
21 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, Maine Dub, really helpful!
Where do you keep your boat? Home port for Margalo is Buck's Harbor. Love it there and can reach a lot of great cruising areas easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.