SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
323 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a question about the diameter of anchor chain. I just went on an overnight trip with my sons, and just before departing I switched my new (and very large, 1/2" maybe?) stern anchor chain with my smaller and rusting bow anchor chain. Once at our anchorage, I found that the new and larger chain barely fit through my bow roller, and was super heavy to deploy and retrieve. I would like to replace the bow anchor chain with something a bit lighter, but I don't want to give up strength. My C30 weighs about 12,000# and my anchor is a 35# bruce. I don't have a windlass (yet) but I sure wanted one last week.:laugher What size chain should I get? I am thinking of a length of 45' to go with my 250' of rode.

Thanks in advance, Bill

· Registered
323 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Edit

Hi all, thanks for the input. While at the boat the other day I looked at my Bruce anchor and it is 10Kg (22 lbs) not 35lbs! That means that my chain is HEAVY! I am going to go with 5/16 HT chain after reading the advice here and elsewhere. The 22 lb Bruce is good for a 35' boat so my 30' should be fine.

Thanks again for the great input.

Cheers, Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.