SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of swapping out my 200ft of 1/2' chain for 300ft. Truthfully, I've never looked closely enough to see if what came with the boat was BBB or G4.

What I have has held up perfectly, I would just like a bit more anchoring flexibility. Weight is not really an issue, she is specd for 300ft of chain, so I'm likely to use whatever type she currently has and, of course, the windlass is already sized for it.

When I considered this last year, I was reading all sorts of issues with ACCO galvanization. Defender is reportedly going to have a sale soon, but I'm all but certain that is who they source chain from.

Does anyone have any authoritative references for quality in either BBB or G4 chain these days?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the market too. I discovered that ACCO has two lines of chain, a US made and an imported. The US made comes with a certificate of testing, the imported does not. I suspect that the complaints are on the cheaper, imported chain. The best price I have found is here: newenglandmarine.com Also check out morganscloud.com and look for the anchoring posts.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go into the chandlery and find out which the sell most of.

Might sound stuipd, but...
Unfortunately, the little guys all order as needed. West Marine stocks ACCO and Defender (where we think we can get a price about half of WM), also stocks only ACCO.

Trouble is, that's exactly the manufacturer I thought I heard had galvanizing trouble.

The point above about US vs. imported was news to me on the American Chain Company. I wonder how one would tell the difference. My guess is, Defender just buys what's cheapest.

·
I can't re Member
216 Posts
Thanks, but still ACCO.

Perhaps ACCO is just fine, but I did confirm my sanity and google up what I recalled. People were bitching about poor galvanization in 2013.
Yeah I posted it because they mention 'made in USA'. If there indeed are two sources for ACCO chain, not saying where it's produced leads one to believe the source is China.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spoke with Tulsa Chain co (free shipping over $500), they confirm that China is the source for the cheaper ACCO, thinner galv. NO CERTIFICATE! US made comes with a certificate, according to them. If you don't get a testing cert., don't buy it. This stuff isn't too hard to find out. tulsachain.com

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Minne, for some reason I can't see signatures when I'm signed in. For some reason I thought you were on a 43 DS. Sweet boat BTW Check out Lummi Fish Supply for ACCO USA chain, best prices I could find in country.
If you click User CP at the top, there is something in there that toggles signatures on and off. Might be it.

We sail a 54DS.

Thanks for the tip on a supplier. I'm going to try to track down Defender and this China/USA thing. If satisfied, I have a line on free shipping directly to my boat and they are reportedly going to have a big chain sale. Or do I'm told.

·
3,505 Posts
Commercial supply house's may be a better source and cheaper then the WM's...I bought a barrel, 500' of ACCO 4G HT chain and split it with another cruiser. This was when ACCO chain was the real deal.

Reactions: christian.hess
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.