SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Anchor for my parent's new boat....

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Boasun 
#1 ·
<deep breath> I can't believe I'm about to post a "which anchor is best" thread, but here goes....

So my parents look like they're about to get back into boating. I've been encouraging this of course. :) Looks like they're going to get a Bayliner 38 and cruise the san-juan islands extensively (which they know very well) and explore the canadian gulf islands as well. I don't know if they'll go up to Desolation, but they might.

Now, my parents have a bad history with anchoring. I recall being a little kid watching our boat dragging from shore asking "why is dad rowing alone back to the boat? And why is he rowing so fast?" :eek: The solution to that particular problem was to buy an outboard for the dinghy....:rolleyes:

I may have convinced them to back down on their anchor and we've had discussions of scope etc, but I don't think they're interested in the real physics of it all nor do I think they'll calculate tide rise and bow roller height and ensure enough scope. The good news is that the boat comes with all chain, which is a little more forgiving scope wise.

Now with this knowledge I would (and will very strongly) recommend a Manson or Spade BUT I am all but certain that they won't shell out the money. I know I'd be preaching to the choir here about that, but I just don't think I'll ever be able to convince them to shell out $1000 when they've already got an anchor, or there are cheaper alternatives.

So, with this scenario, which affordable but secure option would you suggest? I also don't really have any experience selecting an anchor for a windage heavy 17,000lb boat with a canvassed in fly bridge.

I'm leaning towards a used 66lb Bruce if I can find one. What do y'all think?

MedSailor

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.