SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<deep breath> I can't believe I'm about to post a "which anchor is best" thread, but here goes....

So my parents look like they're about to get back into boating. I've been encouraging this of course. :) Looks like they're going to get a Bayliner 38 and cruise the san-juan islands extensively (which they know very well) and explore the canadian gulf islands as well. I don't know if they'll go up to Desolation, but they might.

Now, my parents have a bad history with anchoring. I recall being a little kid watching our boat dragging from shore asking "why is dad rowing alone back to the boat? And why is he rowing so fast?" :eek: The solution to that particular problem was to buy an outboard for the dinghy....:rolleyes:

I may have convinced them to back down on their anchor and we've had discussions of scope etc, but I don't think they're interested in the real physics of it all nor do I think they'll calculate tide rise and bow roller height and ensure enough scope. The good news is that the boat comes with all chain, which is a little more forgiving scope wise.

Now with this knowledge I would (and will very strongly) recommend a Manson or Spade BUT I am all but certain that they won't shell out the money. I know I'd be preaching to the choir here about that, but I just don't think I'll ever be able to convince them to shell out $1000 when they've already got an anchor, or there are cheaper alternatives.

So, with this scenario, which affordable but secure option would you suggest? I also don't really have any experience selecting an anchor for a windage heavy 17,000lb boat with a canvassed in fly bridge.

I'm leaning towards a used 66lb Bruce if I can find one. What do y'all think?

MedSailor

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Med Sailer,

Have you gone mad?:eek: Starting another anchor thread on Sailnet is like starting a riot.:rolleyes:
Sorry, can't help you. I will leave it to others who are better then me on this subject. I'll just watch.
Let the games begin.:clobber :batter

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ummm...a suitable Manson Supreme is $479 at Defender... not $1k.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10391|33872|902122&id=901954
Reeeeeeealy? And only $56 shipping to get it to the other side of the USA. Now that might be a viable option. Gotta love defender.

Thanks Cam!

MedSailor

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Be sure to add in the anchor rhode and a winch to weigh anchor with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts