SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I guess they used candles, then came oil lamps. With the invention of electricity, incandescent bulbs took on the role. Now, LED's are taking over the market.
But this guy has 'em all beat!
Rodney Bay, St. Lucia.

Attachments

·
Taking it day by day
69 Posts
I guess they would be real popular in a crowded anchorage.....:D

·
bell ringer
5,039 Posts
that's a real solar powered light!

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,417 Posts
Perfect example of the dangers of one of those non Coast Guard certified LED anchor lights! :)

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Ironically, on a clear, dark, moonless night, coming into an anchorage, those LED anchor lights appear to a bright star - not an anchor light. I can't tell you how many times I've entered an anchorage area and damned near plowed into an anchored boat because that LED light looked exactly like a star, and in the darkness you could not see the boat until you were right on top of it.

I always have a bunch of solar powered lawn lights attached to stanchions so that light is just above deck level. Not only do you know it's not a star, but additionally, it lights up the cabin top and deck as well. No question as to whether there's a boat in front of you when you're lit up like this. Plus, it makes getting around on deck at night a whole lot easier. Think about it.

Gary :cool:

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Ironically, on a clear, dark, moonless night, coming into an anchorage, those LED anchor lights appear to a bright star - not an anchor light. I can't tell you how many times I've entered an anchorage area and damned near plowed into an anchored boat because that LED light looked exactly like a star,
Gary - if you were watching where you were going instead of trying to get a fix on that "star" with your sextant - you would have been fine.

Rik

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I always have a bunch of solar powered lawn lights attached to stanchions so that light is just above deck level. Not only do you know it's not a star, but additionally, it lights up the cabin top and deck as well. No question as to whether there's a boat in front of you when you're lit up like this. Plus, it makes getting around on deck at night a whole lot easier. Think about it.

Gary :cool:
The problem with most of those Home Cheapo/Harbor Fright 'solutions' that I've seen, is they tend not to last much more than a few hours past Cruiser's Midnight... :)

They were very popular among the cruisers I saw down in the Bay Islands, and Belize... Unfortunately, a virtually worthless solution, in many cases...

Deck level anchor lights are a great idea, of course... But, do it right, get yourself a 'real' one, like the ones Bebi used to make... The older Davis Megalights were pretty faint, but the newer ones with the LEDs are pretty decent... suspended above the boom from something like a topping lift, they'll light up your sail cover and rest of the boat pretty well...

Really a pity that Bebi is gone, those lights are awesome, hopefully they'll be resurrected at some point...

Another suggestion to increase deck-level visibility... Get yourself about 2' of the 2" wide adhesive SOLAS reflective tape, and put a small square of it on the outside of the stanchions and rails around the perimeter of your boat, that stuff really helps...

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Very organic anchor light! Does it flash green at sundown?

Speaking of solar anchor lights, what do you think about carrying something like this solar powered LED from Carmanah as a backup to a wired masthead anchor light?

I've got one in my inventory, but haven't used it for anything yet. It's intended as a light for a private aid to navigation, but I thought it might work as a back-up anchor light if I hoisted it up a flag line or perhaps mounted it on a pole or somewhere else. It's also able to be operated via remote control, so potentially it could be mounted on the mast too. It's got a 3nm range and is listed with "USCG PATON 33CFR66 & CFR67 Class C Pending".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts