SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having sailed extensively outside the US
I always use an anchor light in the fore traingle, which is required by international regulations.

How do US sailors get by with just a masthead light?

Bill

G

·
According to COLREGS "(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length (at anchor) may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule."

Jeff

·
Registered
234 Posts
I prefer lower anchor lights, but knowing a single one will be blocked from some directions by mast and covered sails, I usually rig one on each shroud.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
i have seen the ineffectiveness of masthead lights personally.
i use a very bright led in a perko lantern into which i have installed led BRIGHT white light. the original was only visible for 3 miles.. now it has 5 mile visibility, placed in the foretriangle is visible to all, pangas and sailboats and powerboats.
i have witnessed how masthead lights blend in with the ambient hillside local house lighting and made mine better and more visible.

·
Registered
24,199 Posts
Nothing like spreader up-lights to make it pretty clear what's up ahead. Now that they come in LED, the power is much more manageable.

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
569 Posts
Record setting necrophiliac thread revival? Damn near 20 years. Let's see someone beat that. :)

I assume you mean, in addition to the all around anchor light at the top of the mast.
You can't go back much further, the oldest goes back to 2000 AD I believe..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts