SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled out the anchor line from my new boat. Appears mice really liked it. And just to really make it really hurt, they chewed the last 10 feet, so essentially, I would have only noticed it in a situation where I needed to let out all 200, (190), feet of it, which would mean I was already in deep doo doo in the first place.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,063 Posts
Ouch. Yes, I'm an all chain guy too, if the vessel can carry the load at the bow.

Reminds me of launching the family boat, out of winter storage, when I was maybe 12 or 13 yrs old. My Father and I get her in the water and head out for a basic shakedown in the harbor. Shortly after leaving the slip, I notice something scurry along the cockpit cubby lockers. I move a few things aside and find a dozen pink baby mice squirming about, each about the size of a quarter and not able to move much (it was still cold). It must have been Mama that I saw run. At that age, all I could imagine is a boat full of mice and no way to get off!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He had two sets of rode in there. One with all chain and this one with about 20 feet of chain. I probably would have used this one since I don't have a windlass. A lot of weight forward for my boat, but who knows, I've yet to put her in the water.

·
Old soul
4,868 Posts
Yeah... not trying to criticize Nine. You have my sympathy. I too have a rope-rode.

Mice can be a real PITA. I had my car stored out in the semi-wilderness in a plastic shed over the summer. Mice got in and turned my glove compartment into their latrine. Took us weeks to get the smell out, and are still assessing the damage. So you have my sympathies.

You're probably lucky the rope rode is all they destroyed.

·
Barquito
3,640 Posts
When I bought my boat, it had been on the hard for 5 years. Mice had turned all the halyards inside the mast into bedding material. It must have been a really cozy aluminum home for those guys for a few years.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've been worried about the possibility of rodent damage on my boat, while it's on the stands, this winter. The marina folks told me that they have not heard of anybody having any problem. I think I may have some preventative next year, just in case. I know that they hate moth balls. At home, I've gone to setting bait stations in my sheds. I've had some damage to lawn mower grass clipping bags, and one year, they built a nest under the cowling on the head of my lawn tractor, clogging the cooling fins, and causing it to overheat when I started it in the spring.

By the way, have any of you guys ever smelled moth balls?

Really, you have? How did you get his little legs that far apart to get your nose in there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts