SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Davis shockles anchor line snubber from WM for $63. I can return it if someone can instruct as to how I can make my own for less money. I have a 30 foot Catalina with 30' of chain and 150' of line.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
With 30 feet of chain I am not sure why you need a snubber at all. Even if the water is only 10 feet deep and you bow is 4' above the water (ignoring tides), if you have only 3:1 scope you will have 12' of rope out as well as your chain. Would seem to me to be a perfectly adequate snubber there (I assume it is nylon of appropriate size).

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
There are some suggestions in this thread:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/49719-what-kind-anchor-snubber.html

Also, if you scroll down to the Similar Threads section at the bottom of this page, there are several that might be helpful.
Donna, any idea why no threads more recent than 3 or 4 years old ever seem to appear under the "Similar Threads" feature?

Like this one, for instance? it would seem to have more relevance, than a thread about flat webbing for a stern anchor line from almost 10 years ago :)

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104074-anchor-snubbers-redux.html

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
Donna, any idea why no threads more recent than 3 or 4 years old ever seem to appear under the "Similar Threads" feature?

Like this one, for instance? it would seem to have more relevance, than a thread about flat webbing for a stern anchor line from almost 10 years ago :)

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104074-anchor-snubbers-redux.html
I don't know. For the most part my SN world stops on the outside of my monitor but my guess is it is connected to the poor search capability that everyone complains about.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
When I anchor, I have a piece of line I keep at the pedestal that I use (with a rolling hitch) to pull my rode away from the end of the roller. Otherwise, it rubs against the end. With 35' of chain, I've found no need for a snubber.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
A length of nylon rope and the knowledge of how to use a rolling hitch and you have a good snubber.

With a rope rode I would always use a snubber to avoid chafe on the rode as it passes over the bow roller or fairlead.

My rode is all chain so I have a chain hook on my nylon rope. My real snubber is the chain catenary but the nylon rope makes life aboard much quieter onboard especially for anyone trying to sleep in the forepeak while the anchor chain is grinding on the bottom as we swing.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I sort of agree with those that hold the view that with 30 feet of chain a snubber is unnecessary but if you're going to have one no matter what, then surely this is the best solution:

A metre of strong nylon line onto a correctly sized chain hook, it takes less than a minute to deploy and less to retrieve. And in my part of the world the hook costs as little as $8 depending on chain size

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
I have started using an Amsteel soft shackle for attaching the snubber line to the chain. IT WORKS WONDERFULLY! No grab hook falling off, easy to slip though a chain link, easy to take on and off, goes right through the roller on the way up. Try it, you'll like it. I've tried many different things, this is the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts