SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a windlass. Hand over hand for a 35lb Bruce and 30 feet of chain is a bit of a workout. <G>

Any thoughts on the anchor retrieval floats? Pros/cons?

One downside I can see is the room needed to overrun the anchor and pull it to the surface -- a tight cove may not offer the room.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Why not get a chain pawl. It would allow you to deal with the 30' of chain and take the anchor's weight when you rest. :)

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
An anchor buoy will only cause grief. In the Bahamas it's a no no. Too many folks running around in dinks in the dark. Also in tidal waters it's not unusual to find the bouy line wrapped around your prop in the morning. The only place I might consider using one would be in certain sections of the ICW where you're anchoring in a stretch that once was forest and has a lot of stumps on the bottom. Also in crowded anchorages the boat ahead of you will many times be sitting right over your anchor.

As for hauling your hook by hand you can wrap the chain around a cleat or use a chain hook on a short line to hold it while you catch your breath.

·
Seinor Member
276 Posts
Sumthin musta got lost in the translation EH?

The anchor retrieval ball will work great!!! Anywhere even in the Bahamas. I used to do it all the time. I finally got a windless so I don't use it as much.

Here is a link to one Anchor Retrieval System.

You can make your own, isn't much to it. What is amazing is how well it works. I had never heard of it until I ran into a commercial fisherman that uses it. I thought he was crazy. Soooo When nobody was around I tried it. Holy Mackerel Andy worked like a charm.

Fair Winds
Dave

·
Anchorsmith
257 Posts
Buoyed retrieval lines

If you think you need the ring system, why not just use a dedicated retrieval line? It is going to be much more reliable and has other benefits.

Marking where your anchor is can be beneficial in some anchorages, for other boaters who assume that a 1.5 : 1 scope is normal. Use a cheap but tough and brightly colored buoy; if folk want to run it over cos they can't see where they're going that's their issue. It also pays to mark it "not a mooring" or something similar, for certain other folk...

Pictures and more info:
www.rocna.com/kb/Buoyed_retrieval_line

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Main halyard winch is on the cabin top but I have a couple big Genny winches that could be used.

One problem I have at present is the lack of a good anchor roller. The factory roller is a tiny little extension of the toe-rail and the roller itself has literally fallen apart and so far I've not been able to find a replacement roller (I need a narrow one - about 1 3/4").

·
Registered
297 Posts
Fair Lead

Set a snatch block midship on port side as a fair lead - trail the anchor line to the main (same side) and have your partner tail the line into the anchor locker back up at the bow. A bit slow but it'll get the job done.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts