SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Mermaid Hunter
5,666 Posts
Reaction score
I looked at WM and Yale Cordage. West Marine suggests 1/2" 3-strand and 1/4" proof coil chain. Yale suggests 1/2" brait and 1/4" BBB chain. I didn't look at New England Ropes because I don't have the bandwidth (downloading podcasts) to get the catalog here on the boat. I don't see a lot of diversity there. I do really like the mult-iplait ropes so I would get 1/2" brait or the NE equivalent and 1/4" BBB or HT. If you already have a windlass with a chain gypsy I'd get whatever chain fit as long as it's 1/4" or better.

In the last year or so I've seen some real galvanizing problems on anchor chain, including that directly from Acco. I suggest not accepting delivery without inspection of the chain.

· Mermaid Hunter
5,666 Posts
Reaction score
I think what was bothering me, was that the recommendations from West Marine said "for up to 30 knots of wind".
A reasonable thing to think about. Probably worth a call to Yale and/or NE Ropes to see what they think. They are likely to be conservative in their recommendations.

Especially if you are going to be running without a windlass, the weight of that stuff will get old quick. That's also worth thinking about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.