SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm installing a hawse pipe at the bow of our Ranger 28, which has a small compartment from the front of the V-berth to the bow, which I intend to use solely for storing the rode, feeding it thru the hawse pipe to the anchor at the bow.

I've seen bags for the purpose of storage, and talked to one other former R-28 owner who used a 5 gallon plastic pail to store his rode in in the same front compartment, any other ideas?

I'm also thinking that whatever I choose to go with, it may be smart to put a cleat on the compartment's interior bulkhead to cleat off the final end of the rode so that there are no "oops!" incidents while anchoring.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I used a hanging bag on my 27' Stiletto.

One in each bow.

I added a pad eye inside for the bitter end; I think a cleat is more of a head knocker, and you only disconnect it every few years, really.

·
NON member
544 Posts
corny...
I don't know what kind of room you're dealing with, but how about a milk crate (they're self-draining :) )?
Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
corny...
I don't know what kind of room you're dealing with, but how about a milk crate (they're self-draining :) )?
Paul
Self draining! I like that...

How does one feed the rode back in so that it does not tangle? Or is that sort of a 'manual' effort, i.e. get the rode back down into the container, then remove and de-tangle later?

I also like the pad eye idea over the cleat. Good points, keep 'em coming!

·
NON member
544 Posts
corny...
If you just feed a line into a container, hand-over-hand, the line should come right back out without any problem.
Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! I think I like the idea of a round container over a square one, so my plan as of now is to install a fairly level platform to sit in the "V" of the compartment, take a 5 gal pail and bore some holes in the bottom and bottom sides for drainage and go that route, with a pad eye on the bulkhead for the bitter end. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check eBay! I picked up a couple of rode bags real cheap. They are canvas, have a exit hole near the bottom to secure the end and a mesh top to let the water evaporate. I think I paid less than $15. I have two colors with two different anchor types. They'll hold a lot of line/chain. They are very heavy construction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts