SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if I should use a thimble in my eye splice attaching the anchor rope to the chain Thanks

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Not if you have a windlass with a chain/rope gypsy. The thimble will cause the rode to jump out of the gypsy with bad consequences. If you're manually hauling up the anchor, then it doesn't much matter, but with a windlass, you want a proper rope-to-chain splice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm just pulling it up myself but was worried about the rope rubbing on the steel link and eventually breaking

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can someone tell me if I should use a thimble in my eye splice attaching the anchor rope to the chain Thanks

Definitely and absolutely - unless you have a windlass, in which case you need line-to-chain splice to let both go through the windlass smoothly. If you don't know how to splice three strand nylon to chain, I recommend Brian Toss' video on splicing. I could do a good three strand splice but Brian taught me how to splice all kinds of line with this video. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn splicing.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Not if you have a windlass with a chain/rope gypsy. The thimble will cause the rode to jump out of the gypsy with bad consequences. If you're manually hauling up the anchor, then it doesn't much matter, but with a windlass, you want a proper rope-to-chain splice.
Good to see you back Dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts