SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I probably already know the answer but was hoping someone has come up with a clever solution. I have a Benetau 361 that I keep on a mooring. The arrangement of the bow chalks results in the pendants rubbing against the anchor pretty much constantly. This makes for a noisy nights sleep at best and certainly a high concern for chafing. The solution for my current Bruce anchor is to pass it back through the bow rail and store in th anchor locker. It's a bit of a pain but affective. Now the problem....

I recently purchased a Manson Supreme anchor and there is just no way to get it through the bow railings. The thought of disconnecting the anchor from the rode every time doesn't seem practical. Anyone out there have a similar experience? Any thoughts on how to solve?

Thanks very much

·
Master Mariner
8,992 Posts
Instead of running the mooring line over the bow roller, how about running it through a chock and to a bow cleat? We do that with our snub or when we do use a mooring and it keeps the line clear of the anchor on our boat. Visit your local firehouse and ask for some old firehose, absolutely the bestest chafe gear ever!

Reactions: Seand50

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Chocks.

Like capta, I run my mooring pendant to a bow cleat (no chock, my cleats sit on the toe rail).

If that isn't an option you can lash your anchor up higher, perhaps to the top rail of the bow pulpit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Fire hose as anti chafe is a great idea. Just to be clear from my earlier post, I do run the pendants through the bow chaulks not the roller. The chaulks are just so close to the bow that the pendants rub against the flukes (?) of the anchor when it is on the roller. Raising the anchor up some might work. I will explore that option next time I'm get down to the boat.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
My concern is that in wild bouncy conditions, the pendant might get caught on the anchor, not just rub a little. Consider that.

I would also consider going to something MUCH more abrasion resistant for the pendant. Perhaps big Amsteel under the fire hose.

Why is that vendors spend great effort on varnish and electronics, and forget that the boat is moored every single day? Never miss an opportunity to point out stupid locations to salesmen.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I keep my boat on a mooring. While my mooring pennant has decent clearance from the anchor under normal conditions, I am concerned about chafe in a storm. So I store the anchor on lashed deck (won't fit in shallow anchor locker) except when cruising. No way I would leave the anchor in the roller if were rubbing on the pennants all the time. Removing it from the rode all the time sounds like a pain, but it's better than having the boat break loose in a storm.

·
Registered
23,486 Posts
I don't love the practice, but I've lowered my anchor to hang a few feet below the surface, when chafing was an issue. It would be a bad long term solution, as it could become entwined with the ball in becalmed conditions. If there is a steady breeze, it works in a pinch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts