SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Mod note..the discussion below was 'drifted into' on a thread on generators. I've moved the swivel posts to this dedicated thread here..

Ron/Faster

hey, this is wrong....

swivel does not go on the anchor side!!!!! You dont even need one. Please take it off, for your sake.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Re: generator a good idea?

hey, this is wrong....

swivel does not go on the anchor side!!!!! You dont even need one. Please take it off, for your sake.
Does that connect to the generator?

Funny, there are some that would rather have generators used as anchors, but they don't have a lot of holding power.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

hey, this is wrong....

Huh? I think you mean the swivel should not connect to the anchor which it does not in this setup. There is an anchor shackle connected to both ends of the swivel to eliminate any side loading on the swivel if the chain changes direction from the original set.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts

...I misunderstood your intent, I suppose, in assuming you were also trying to point out that the anchor shackle was on 'backwards'...
OK, I'm man enough to admit that I still have a lot to learn about anchor technique. So what direction is the shackle supposed to go? Sounds like the screw-in clevis pin should be through the chain, not through the anchor shank, right? And the engineer in me has to ask: what unacceptable stresses result from putting it on backwards?

And I also know that the pin should be secured with seizing wire so it does not work its way loose, right?

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

OK, I'm man enough to admit that I still have a lot to learn about anchor technique. So what direction is the shackle supposed to go? Sounds like the screw-in clevis pin should be through the chain, not through the anchor shank, right? And the engineer in me has to ask: what unacceptable stresses result from putting it on backwards?

And I also know that the pin should be secured with seizing wire so it does not work its way loose, right?
You can take the swivel straight out. one shackle, not sure about where the pin goes, but I can imagine the pin may be forced to turn if its in the shank and not on the chain?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts

Yup, the bow of the shackle goes thru the anchor, the pin thru the chain... In fact, absent the use of a swivel, that's the only way a shackle CAN be attached to anything other than a massively oversized chain. Unless you employ TWO shackles, I suppose...

The potential for eccentric side loads that can attempt to 'pry apart' the jaws of a swivel, or a shackle, is the primary reason you want to avoid running the pin thru an anchor...

Just my opinion, of course... Others will no doubt argue that it makes little difference... But there are a number of seasoned sailors who believe there's a right way, and a wrong way...

Peter Smith is one, and he knows a thing or two about anchoring... :)

Some anchors will not accept the head of an adequately sized shackle, being designed for the pin instead. This necessitates the use of two shackles, connected body-to-body with each other, and the pins through the anchor and the chain respectively. This is less than elegant, and doubles the chance of a shackle failure - well designed anchors, including the Rocna, have an elongated rode attachment point through which the shackle head can pass.

Shackles (Rocna Knowledge Base)

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Personally, I don't think it would make much difference, but I'm old and feeble, so what the Hell do I know. In more than 6 decades on the water, I've never had a shackle failure. Has anyone on this forum had a shackle fail?

Gary :cool:

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
In more than 6 decades on the water, I've never had a shackle failure. Has anyone on this forum had a shackle fail?
I think it is swivel failures, not shackle failures, that are the issue.

I have had shackles fail (two I think) in rigging, not in ground tackle.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Personally, I don't think it would make much difference, but I'm old and feeble, so what the Hell do I know. In more than 6 decades on the water, I've never had a shackle failure. Has anyone on this forum had a shackle fail?

Gary :cool:
Not me...

However, that doesn't mean I'm gonna run over to West Marine, and replace what I'm using with some Chinese shackle of dubious quality, either...

:))

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Well made swivels, correctly attached can be quite safe, but here are some photos of a swivel failing underwater, while in use.

The boat anchored using this swivel only just avoided running aground on a lee shore.

Scary.

Another amazing set of pictures! I also note the sheer and utter lack of caternary.... When the wind pipes up there is no caternary.......;)

Did you warn them their shackle had snapped???

·
Registered
511 Posts
Another amazing set of pictures! I also note the sheer and utter lack of caternary.... When the wind pipes up there is no caternary.......;)

Did you warn them their shackle had snapped???
Yes many times.

The whole process from the first visible crack in swivel to final release took about 1/2 an hour. We pleaded with the skipper to do something about the situation.
He deemed it a problem that best sorted out after lunch.:mad:

It was especially frustrating because there was an onshore wind. So the boat without an anchor was going to drag very rapidly to the beach.

In the end that is exactly what the boat did, but I think our warnings had some effect and the skipper started the motor the instant the swivel snapped, which thankfully prevented him grounding on the beach.

The lack of catenary is very obvious from the photos. The wind was only moderate, but there was a reasonable swell from the onshore wind.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.