SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my recently purchased boat, the anchor washdown has never worked. I haven't been to concerned about it till now. This past weekend we ended up with a muddy mess on the bow of the boat. With a week long trip coming up, Id like to address this now.

I know nothing about this system but it seems fairly simple. A seacock to a pump motor to the hose up front. The motor runs great. Do the pumps lose there prime? Will the pump seals burn up if run dry? I'm hoping its as easy as priming the pump. I'm a few hours from the boat so I cant work on it for a week or two, Just looking for some good suggestions now. Was considering opening the seacock, pulling the hose off the front and shooting freshwater from the dock thru the system.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
On my recently purchased boat, the anchor washdown has never worked. I haven't been to concerned about it till now. This past weekend we ended up with a muddy mess on the bow of the boat. With a week long trip coming up, Id like to address this now.

I know nothing about this system but it seems fairly simple. A seacock to a pump motor to the hose up front. The motor runs great. Do the pumps lose there prime? Will the pump seals burn up if run dry? I'm hoping its as easy as priming the pump. I'm a few hours from the boat so I cant work on it for a week or two, Just looking for some good suggestions now. Was considering opening the seacock, pulling the hose off the front and shooting freshwater from the dock thru the system.
Bucket :)?
There can be different causes for this.
Water intake clogged
Impeller (if it's an impeller pump) can be damaged (if run dry or to old).
The hose i clogged somewhere or blocking in the nozzle.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
We can use more info. How is it plumbed? Usually if it doesn't have it's own thru hull, it is t'ed into the head sink drain. If so, the T needs to be low enough to be below the waterline so the pump doesn't suck air. If the lines are clear then there is either a problem at the nozzle end. Is the hose always attached or is there a disconnect? Maybe a problem with that fitting? You may need to disassemble to sleuth it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We can use more info. How is it plumbed?

Seacock to the pump motor to the bow. Its pretty simple.

Bucket :)?
There can be different causes for this.
Water intake clogged
Impeller (if it's an impeller pump) can be damaged (if run dry or to old).
The hose i clogged somewhere or blocking in the nozzle.
Bucket, great back up plan. :) Why didn't I have one this past weekend. Do those pumps have rubber impellors like an outboard? I'm not sure, never messed with one. If they do I'm sure that's my problem.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
Ok, if clog is after pump, pump would shut off once it reached pressure. Therefore, I suspect problem is BEFORE the pump or between pump and thru-hull. Either the thru-hull is clogged and the pump can't get water, the hose has a leak in it and the pump sucks air, or the pump is bad due to diaphragm or impeller (most likely diaphragm).

Tod

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Try applying a vacuum source to the 'hose end' of the deck wash to prime the pump - any 'shop vac' should do.
Most diaphragm type pumps used on boats dont need priming ... unless a valve has become stuck or the diaphragm has developed a pin hole etc.
If a vaned pump, then of course check the vane for its condition and also if its 'contacting' the side walls of the vane chamber. If it continues to lose prime after long dwell times, simply relocate it to a place below the boat's waterline (and then double clamp all the hoses, replace all the hose with 'armored' hose suitable for below-the-waterline service, etc.)

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
My money is either on a clog between the thru hull and pump or a defective diaphragm/impeller. The pump motor would spin in either, but wouldn't do anything. Both are common problems.

A make/model of the pump in question might help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts