SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Seasoned Salt
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the possibility of leasing a slip beginning this winter, at the Anchorage Marina in Baltimore. I've been there to look but would like to hear opinions and comments from people with experience there. Do they really not turn on the water until May?

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
I have visited that marina.

It is not uncommon for marina's in North Chesapeake to turn off the water dockside as a freeze precaution but May seems a little late!!

While it's a little urban for us daysailors, it does have some benefits; largely, land based entertainments.

It's in a nieghborhood called Canton. There is a casual dining area in an old factory nearby with killer shrimp salad sandwhiches.

We like to hang out there, Federal Hill and nearby Fells Point. Us townies avoid Inner Harbor like we avoid the Preakness!!

Late night and nothing to do??

Head over to Night Shifts!!

Actually, I haven't been back since my batchelor party almost ten years ago.

Let's just say it was memorable!!

Night Shift - Baltimore's best upscale adult strip club. Baltimore's source for top notch adult entertainment. Baltimore's best source for all nude, exotic entertainment. Charm city's bachelor party headquarters.

Or, just to get your Polka on....

Club Events 2008

·
Registered
197 Posts
We spent a winter living aboard at the marina next door. Yes they turn off the main water till spring. If I recall Anchorage has a winter water system they turn on once a week or so.

If you have to live aboard up there where it's cold - Canton is a great neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
We stayed there for a season to include the winter and they do turn off the water on the outer most docks. A little inside information..they changed management a few years ago and quite a few slip owners are upset with them(talk to some of the employees up at the neighboring West Marine). Also parking is very limited inside the gated area also security is questionable..I for one have had items stolen and the new management when confronted had a laza afair attitude about it...

Bottom line I wouldn't go back again...

·
Seasoned Salt
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got the contract for the lease and it is a piece of work. In 30 yrs of boat ownership I've never seen one like it. Four pages of small print with a number of "gems" within, such as:

"Cold running water (not intended for drinking, cooking, or consumption) will be provided to the slip..."

Good Lord! I have never seen a marina say to a slipholder that the water they supply at the slip is not fit. I've been at marina's with harsh tasting well water, but no place that said up front it was not safe. Are they for real? This should be city water, no?

"Lessor and/or Marina make no warranty or representation of any kind regarding the Marina or Slip except that Lessor and/or Marina have the legal right to rent the Slip to Lessee."

The document goes on to say that no matter what happens to boat, owner, or guests, on, in, or around the marina, for any reason - explicitly including staff neglience - that they are not liable in any way. So if the roof falls in on me in the parking garage - too bad. If I get electrocuted stepping out of the showers - tough luck. If the posts holding the floating docks have not been maintained and sheer off in a 10kt breeze and the dock and boats float away - well, life's a *****, no?

I actually have to acknowledge that the trivial amount I pay is nothing compared to their value and that I and my guests cannot do anything to make any claim for any reason. But while the Marina and staff make no warranties or assertions of use of any kind I must carry $300,000 of liability (per incident) and list them as named insured. And I give them the right to board or do pretty much anything to my boat for any reason they consider fit and wave any ability to challenge their judgement.

There's more, all in the tone of We expect you to screw us - so we're going to screw you first! (and make me pay their expenses for doing it to me).

In contrast... the rental agreement where I am now is two pages of readable sized text which states the essential and necessary facts of the contract. Period.

The tone and specifics of this Anchorage contract leave me feeling ill.... And wondering, why on earth would they say that about their water supply?

I'm going to have to ponder this. The rate I'm offered is real decent, but still...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
We've been very pleased with Piney Narrows Yacht Haven(Kent Narrows)..the management has been extremely pleasent to deal with compared to The Anchorage....

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Whenever Corporate takes over a Mom and Pop Marina, you see these rediculous-sounding contracts.

However, that language can be found in nearly any leasing agreement and is far from uncommon.

Many of the things they include were simply unsaid when Mom and Pop ran the shop and now are stated.

No document, no agreement, written or implied, excuses real negligence.

If the facility looks well maintained and the price is right, I wouldn't let the contract stop you.

Besides, the weekday specials at Night Shifts may make it worth your while!!

Oh, about the water supply... they can not warrant the quality of the city's water. That just makes sense to me. Besides, at our marina they have only garden hoses running the water out to you. Even so, you could probably drink straight Bay-water and it wouldn't kill you. (Though you may get Festeria and your fins fall off!!)

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
The Anchorage is a condominium marina that allows slip owners to lease their slips. At one time there was a renter's association in addition to the owner's association and professional management. It isn't surprising that the lease contracts have gotten to the point you describe.

Have you tried Baltimore Marine Center next door?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
How do the prices compare???
We've been very pleased with Piney Narrows Yacht Haven(Kent Narrows)..the management has been extremely pleasent to deal with compared to The Anchorage....

·
Seasoned Salt
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... they can not warrant the quality of the city's water. That just makes sense to me. Besides, at our marina they have only garden hoses running the water out to you.
The city warrants the water supply delivered to the marina as safe for consumption. So if there is something in the marina plumbing that can degrade it I want to know. If the marina runs discount store garden hoses under the dock I want to know that. I will report back on what the office says.

·
Seasoned Salt
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The answer is...

...that even though I did everything asked: trebled my liability insurance coverage and listed marina as named insured; had copies of my policy and registration; payment in full up front by certified check; was asked for and I was providing reference from current place that was renting to me....

...when asked a third time because he had not responded the previous two times to my question about the line in the contract saying the water was unfit for consumption...

...told me to rent somewhere else and hung up on me.

I am left to conclude that some people are just @-holes and should be avoided. Perhaps they even have something to hide....

I called my insurance company and dropped the liabaility back to normal levels and changed named insured back to me. There are other people and places to rent from.

[Edited for update] I was just at the home page and d/l a list of slips for sale 12-3-08. My gawd there's a lot of them! I know the economy is tanking, but I'm at a condo marina now and the slips for sale posted this month requires counting on one hand you have your thumb left over.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
...told me to rent somewhere else and hung up on me.

I am left to conclude that some people are just @-holes and should be avoided. Perhaps they even have something to hide....

=====================================

Thought you'd get the hint from my earlier post about the change in management..........................................................................

·
Registered
24 Posts
Date of Spring water turn on

At the marina where Nordic Nights is docked (Old Bay on the Patapsco) they do not turn on the water at the docks until April 7.

The marina owner said that because the pipes are out in the open the pipes can freeze during a cold windy night even when daytime temps are higher.

They do keep the water on all year at the beginning of each dock because they have several liveaboards who run hoses out to their boats.

Also my marina does most of its contracts with a handshake and one page contract.

George

1 - 18 of 18 Posts