SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi We are planning on sailing from baltimore down the east coast. Does anyone know of any great anchorages or marinas along the way? Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
What's the trick? I went to the trouble to register, and all I see is a nice looking site with no content. Can you not just browse the map for info?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
the x preview is a beta test of the new feature which adds NOAH charts. The "on the water" tab is active and all the markers are clickable, providing information. The markers are clickable on the X tab but don't expand to provide extended details like the "on the water" tab will.
You don't need to register to view markers and obtain the information. Registration allows you to post additional info.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The 'Trick" I was missing, even though it's printed in large font on the left of the screen is that if you're zoomed out too far, it doesn't show any markers.
This is a very cool site!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Wassupkris, Are you looking for overnight anchorages at some of the major inlets to duck into while traveling offshore or are you looking for overnights on the ICW? and how far down south? 'good answers for both, let us know, Aythya crew

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking for overnights on the icw. we are heading to houston, tx..... so any tips that you can give is appreciated. thanks

·
Banned
101 Posts
Looking for overnights on the icw. we are heading to houston, tx..... so any tips that you can give is appreciated. thanks
ActiveCaptain has more than 1,000 anchorages along the Atlantic ICW alone. Every one of them has at least 1 review. There is no better collection of anchorage information and local knowledge anywhere. And it's all completely free.

In full disclosure, I'm the software developer of it.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You so much. Active captain is just what we were looking for!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Skipper Bob

Skipper Bob's publications are another good resource, 'Anchorages Along the ICW' is good for anchoring, their Marina book is useful as well for fueling stops and such. I haven't used Active Captain yet, but I used Skipper Bob when I was cruising '05-'07 and found them quite useful. Plus they're reasonbly priced.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not sure how you can get more reasonably priced than free!

I have three of the skipper bob publications. They are a good value.
But if you have an internet connection, I think the activecaptain site is much more useful than a book. It adds the visual aspect of seeing where you are, and where you are going, and all of the navigational issues between here and there.

I can't really say how accurate the end user supplied data is every where else, but the info supplied for the galveston bay area where I am at the moment is very good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts