SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Wondering if anyone has anchored off of Churches Beach on Cuttyhunk? I've been to Cuttyhunk many times both in the inner harbor on a mooring and at the dock as well as the outer harbor on a Frog Pond mooring. I've never anchored NW of the breakwater due to having read that the holding is poor. While on Cuttyhunk we always spend a day at Churches Beach which is just on the other side of the sand berm at the NW end of the inner harbor. The water is very clear with soft sand and is protected from the prevailing SW winds.

My boat is a Seaward 32 (33lb Rocna 15 anchor) so zero issues with anchoring depths.

Any thoughts or past experience?

Thank you!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I don’t think you would be protected from the prevailing wind over there. You’d also be exposed to about a knot of current going up and down Buzzards Bay. Not sure I see the advantage of anchoring there over the outer harbor.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,153 Posts
If you are referring to the beach that wraps the western edge of the harbor, it is not labeled on my charts. That beach faces west into the prevailing wind in Buzzards Bay. You also would likely have to deal with swell and wake from passing traffic in the shipping channel. I have never anchored there, but I am not tempted to do so either.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
This would be the beach on the western side of the causeway that has the inner pond on the other side. Fully agree with E’s caution.

It’s a nice enough beach (bit rocky) to walk to, from the dinghy dock, but I’d put the boat in the inner or outer harbor, each protected from prevailing by the island itself.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Might be OK for a lunch stop, but agree with the previous posts about the lack of protection. The inner harbor is the place to be. And the OP could probably find a place to anchor outside the Town mooring field with his shallow draft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts