SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to attend the Annapolis Boat Show in October and will be arriving by boat. Last time we were there we paid a ridiculous amount for a slip and I'd like to avoid that this year, if possible.

Any local knowledge about where a boat w/ 7 ft draft can stick an anchor in the mud and still be able to walk to the show would be greatly appreciated. And, how many days before the show does one need to show up to find swinging room?

Thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
There is always a full house for boat show. Live aboards start showing up in early september. I am the dockmaster at a mrina on back creek. Currently I have no one sceduled for boat show week in my transient slip. PM me if you are interested. We have the most reasonable rates in town. We are about 1 mile, walking, from city dock
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Billy,

Ditto that -- the sooner you can arrive the better. If you could be here a week ahead it would not be too early. Although even then, the public moorings will likely all be filled -- but may I suggest that you double check with the Annapolis Harbormaster at 410-263-7973.

I like Back Creek too -- there is a landing spot for dinghies and it's a short walk across Eastport to the show -- but I expect those anchorage spots fill up quickly as well.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Back Creek and Spa Creek are good, but if you're willing to go a couple miles more you can get some real primo spots. Up the Severn there's Weem's creek, Luce creek, and Saltwater Creek on the west side, it's a little bit longer of a dink ride but well worth it for the view, all are within 3 miles of Annapolis. There's also the south river, which will be practically empty, but is less than 3 miles from downtown (by land) at it's closest points (e.g. Church creek, Quiet Waters Park.) You might spend a little more on gas or cab rides, but it certainly beats crowded anchorages or paying through the nose for a slip.

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
Back Creek is a nice place to either pick up a slip or anchor out but it gets extremely crowded. I help move boats to and from the show and and a week to 10 days prior to the show there's anchor room. Trying to pick your way through the crowd after the show is always a challenge. I'd check into the offer for the transient slip if you have it in the budget.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
We always anchor way up near the head of Spa Creek the Saturday/ Sunday of the show. Weems Creek is also a nice spot and a comporable dhingy ride.

Dave

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Back Creek and Spa Creek are good, but if you're willing to go a couple miles more you can get some real primo spots. Up the Severn there's Weem's creek, Luce creek, and Saltwater Creek on the west side, it's a little bit longer of a dink ride but well worth it for the view, all are within 3 miles of Annapolis. There's also the south river, which will be practically empty, but is less than 3 miles from downtown (by land) at it's closest points (e.g. Church creek, Quiet Waters Park.) You might spend a little more on gas or cab rides, but it certainly beats crowded anchorages or paying through the nose for a slip.
My girlfriend and I used to anchor in Quiet Waters Park. I married her, so I'd have to recommend that spot - except it's a bit of a walk. Not sure about the draft though, and the lid to my old bar-b-que is somewhere on the bottom there. PM me if you find it.

The little Annapolis airport also get's pretty busy when the show is on.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I'm hoping to attend the Annapolis Boat Show in October and will be arriving by boat. Last time we were there we paid a ridiculous amount for a slip and I'd like to avoid that this year, if possible.

Any local knowledge about where a boat w/ 7 ft draft can stick an anchor in the mud and still be able to walk to the show would be greatly appreciated. And, how many days before the show does one need to show up to find swinging room?

Thanks.

Are you stopping by in Montauk for a night or sailing straight through. If the former, I may see you/buy you a beer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Can't help with anchoring but I will be at the Annapolis Boat Show for the first time this year and I can't wait.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Can't help with anchoring but I will be at the Annapolis Boat Show for the first time this year and I can't wait.
If the weather is fair, you're in for a real treat!

For lunch at least one day, be sure to grab a pulled-bbq sandwich and a draft at the Fleet Reserve Club.

·
Registered
994 Posts
And, how many days before the show does one need to show up to find swinging room?
It doesn't matter how many days early you show up to drop the hook. There will be plenty of morons showing up later who feel they need only half as much swing room as you. I have been a part of some not so pretty confrontations there... and that was 30 years ago. You will be well advised to stay close to your ship and check on her often. Otherwise you might find that someone has "relocated" your vessel for you.

Have fun. Wish I could be there. Next year for sure.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Went two years ago, got to Back Creek a week before the show and had no problem finding a spot of the 6th St dinghy dock. There seemed to be space right up to the Show that year, with some people even leaving. About a mile walk straight acroos on 6th to the Show. Dinghies were 4 deep at the dock during the show.

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
We help deliver boats to and from the show and Back Creek after the show is usually an obstacle course. As nuffoftexas said it gets packed. I wouldn't even think of anchoring in the area during show week.

·
Registered
572 Posts
As someone who keeps thier boat on Back Creek I can assure you, you do not want to anchor there. Too many people who can't set thier hook in a very tight space. I had one guy anchor just outside my slip for the week. I could not get out at all. When I saw him and asked him to move he shared some choice words with me. I ended up calling the DNR and the problem went away.

If anyone is interested I have a transient slip available through Friday of boat show on Back Creek. Just need to be out by Saturday morning. PM me if you are interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts