SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're planning our first real destination trip. Looking for recommendations for anchoring in buzzards bay, closer to the New bedford hurricane barrier. Last weekend we tried for Kettle cove, but we started out way later than we wanted to and got about 2 miles from there and turned around so we could get back at a decent hour.

This time we're looking for something a little closer, maybe a beach we can row the dinghy to or something. New bedford, or dartmouth area? Any suggestions?

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Maybe shoot across to the Hadley Harbor area or the islands? There are more choices for anchoring and exploring than around NB.

Reactions: davekrista

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe shoot across to the Hadley Harbor area or the islands? There are more choices for anchoring and exploring than around NB.
Someone had suggested Hadley Harbor and it is on our list for when the kids get out of school for the summer. With 4 kids, its not always easy to get out as early as we would like to, which is why I was looking for something closer to where we are moored. They don't get out until the end of June and we usually go out on the boat on sundays. Just looking for the shorter trips until then.

We were looking at Jones park in Dartmouth, Clarks Cove but I'm not sure if we'd be able to anchor in that area. I've been looking for nautical charts but so far haven't been able to find any good ones. Didn't know if there would be a better spot to try to go and anchor. Its supposed to be in the 80's this weekend so the kids would love to get in the water. Even though it will still be cold.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Someone had suggested Hadley Harbor and it is on our list for when the kids get out of school for the summer. With 4 kids, its not always easy to get out as early as we would like to, which is why I was looking for something closer to where we are moored. They don't get out until the end of June and we usually go out on the boat on sundays. Just looking for the shorter trips until then.

We were looking at Jones park in Dartmouth, Clarks Cove but I'm not sure if we'd be able to anchor in that area. I've been looking for nautical charts but so far haven't been able to find any good ones. Didn't know if there would be a better spot to try to go and anchor. Its supposed to be in the 80's this weekend so the kids would love to get in the water. Even though it will still be cold.
Here's a link to NOAA's online chart viewer: NOAA's On-Line Chart ViewerNOAA also has all the US raster and vector charts for free to use with a computer program. Try Open CPN or Seaclear which are both free downloadable programs. I usually do some work on a friend's boat over your way in Marion every year. There's a great restaurant we went to last year right by the bridge, has a clear acrylic bar, I forget the name of it.

Reactions: davekrista

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a link to NOAA's online chart viewer: NOAA's On-Line Chart ViewerNOAA also has all the US raster and vector charts for free to use with a computer program. Try Open CPN or Seaclear which are both free downloadable programs.
Thanks for the link. I was just looking at the NOAA site but haven't had a chance to look at it in depth yet. I will check out the link you sent.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Clark's cove looks like an easy in/out. Lots of room. Active Captain reviews say it's good protection except from south winds. Doesn't appear to be any place to take the Dinghy ashore.

( I just added it to my list of potential anchorages for northbound/southbound trips)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clark's cove looks like an easy in/out. Lots of room. Active Captain reviews say it's good protection except from south winds. Doesn't appear to be any place to take the Dinghy ashore.

( I just added it to my list of potential anchorages for northbound/southbound trips)
Through looking on google maps and google earth, Jones Park Beach in dartmouth is a public beach that we were thinking about rowing to. https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...2!3m1!1s0x89e4e3b568ba10e5:0x4e7bb1b2c989557f My husband looked in depth at the Noaa charts and said it looks do-able, but i haven't had a chance to look yet.

I will let you know after the weekend if we were able to do it and how "easy" it was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts