SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need some help with a potential logistical problem.

We've signed up for a race that is some distance from our Marina and I don't yet know if there will be time between the skippers meeting and the start for me to drive back to my marina and get my boat from her slip to the starting area.

So, one option I was considering is moving the boat early, before the skippers meeting, anchoring in the adjacent bay and taking the dingy in to attend the meeting. The problem that creates is what to do with the dink after its served its purpose? I can't drag it through the race.

Would there be any good reason I couldn't just place the remaining rode on the dink and tie it off creating my own temporary mooring? That would get some weight off the bow for the race and "hold my spot" in the anchorage for the after race actvities. Its an area where I don't think anyone would mess with the dingy but who knows really?

·
WAFI
134 Posts
I don't see why not. The only concerns I would have are the ones that you didn't think were a problem. I would worry about someone taking it or if it might be in the way of other traffic.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see why not. The only concerns I would have are the ones that you didn't think were a problem. I would worry about someone taking it or if it might be in the way of other traffic.
Those are the exact things that I do worry about. Its a big popular anchorage and it will be crowded the weekend of this event. I'm trying to contact some folks from my marina to see how its worked in the past.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with the idea if it were a quiet anchorage I was leaving for a quick daysail.

·
WAFI
134 Posts
Perhaps a friend to anchor in the same place while you are racing. They could keep an eye on your dink and then be there to celebrate a win or mourn a loss at the end of the day.

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
If it's a popular anchorage I don't think it's likely that someone will make off with your dinghy. If you have a motor I would take it and the oars with me on the race.
Was wondering the same thing as Vasco. Anchor was required accessory in races I've been in. Of course I took off my heavy anchor and left the lumch hook but had to have an anchor.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'd still have a large Danforth on board in the anchor locker, but not the 35# Delta hanging on the roller.

·
Barking Dog
237 Posts
I have done this a few times for races as well as day sails while cruising. The one thing that could become a problem in a crowded anchorage is when another boat is looking for a good spot, they only calculate the swing of their boat and your 8 foot dinghy (not your big boat when it returns). Therefore, when you return, you may have to retrieve your dinghy, your anchor and go find a new spot. As long as you can drop someone off it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've left my dingy with one of the committee boats,then picked it up after the race.

·
Don Radcliffe
398 Posts
Caribbean races require that you take the anchors off the bow, so dropping the anchor and leaving the dink on it is SOP there. It also keeps your anchoring spot open while you are gone. Never had the dinghy stolen, but one time some lowlife drained the fuel tank. Ask someone anchored nearby to keep an eye on it.

·
Barking Dog
237 Posts
Caribbean races require that you take the anchors off the bow
Is this to limit the damage to the other boats when all stacked up trying to round a mark. It reminds me of a line from that race car movie "Days of Thunder" with Tom Cruise from 1990

Cole Trickle: Yeah, well this son of a ***** just slammed into me.
Harry Hogge: No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts