SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given it's been a little quiet around here lately, I thought I'd ask the question..

I know some anchors work better than others when used with all-rope rode (given plenty of scope, a Danforth's flukes will usually still dig into sand or mud whilst a CQR just skims across the bottom) so, given that Admiralty anchors are somewhat out-of-fashion these days:

(a) what would you recommend as a good kedge anchor? and

(b) any tried-and-tested ways to ensure any given kedge will actually dig in when you need it to??

Thanks,
C

5,179 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I agree, and I'm guessing that is what the OP is really asking about here... A hook that can be taken out in a tender, for instance, without having to drag along a lot of chain, and used only for a straight line pull, and not for extended anchoring thru wind shifts or changes in tidal streams, etc...

{snipped lots of interesting info}

But, when all is said and done, one of the new gen Spade/Rocna/Manson/Mantus would all serve as a pretty good kedge anchor, as well...
My favorite kedge anchor is the Fortress. It does not need chain to be a good kedge. Light weight, run it out in the dinghy, drop it winch in the rode.....
Thank you Jon and MS. Confirms what I thought before forking out $$$.

Very helpful indeed! :)

5,179 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ive seen many a boat, with around 5 feet and hose over the chain for a perfect kedge anchor setup

that 5 feet or so os enough to steady the anchor and make it easier to set and its not enough to make it hard to manhandle
An interesting idea.. and not one I've come across before.

I might see if I can rig something like that on the Danforth I have, whilst waiting for the funds to upgrade it to a Fortress..

and although I know this isnt common to me a kedge anchor should be able to be THROWABLE

down here panga fisherman do this this way as its the wonly way they can keep the boat off the surf and last through the hightide without going aground

its must be throwable so that means all rode, a little chain and some awesome biceps

the other reason for it being throwable is in the sense that if you run aground ever so lightly and have a visual on a sandbar or shallow area you can throw the acnhor towards it hope it catches and use that along with engine power and winches carefully to take you off...

this is of course before having to deploy dinghies or lean masts over etc...or wait for the tides

peace
Good point, Christian! Never thought about that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.