SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Reaction score
No chain is a very bad idea and about the only thing you can count on is the anchor pulling loose. The more the better and it should be sized for the boat and the windlass if you have one. Cable is just not going to replace chain unless it's a pretty thick cable. It's the weight of the chain that keeps the pull of the anchor on a horizontal rather than a vertical. Never in over 50 years of boating have I ever seen cable on an anchor rode. Chuck

· Registered
122 Posts
Reaction score
Sorry on my previous post. I thought we were talking about using a short length of cable instead of chain on a pleasure craft, I didn't realize we were discussing commercial fishing vessels. Seriously though, has ANYONE every seem a pleasure boat, with a length of cable used in place of chain. Would any of the members here consider replacing the chain on your anchor rode with an equal length of cable? Lets compare apples to apples. Chuck

· Registered
122 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks Marty, I am just speaking from my own personal experience. Grew up on the Chesapeake Bay and started boating at age ten. That's 55 years ago. Sailed the Pacific coast from San Francisco to the Sea of Cortez. Cruised the Atlantic and Gulf coast of the U.S. many times. We sailed the Bahamas many times, northern and western Caribbean and have covered tens of thousands of miles. We've seen a lot of boats along the way and met a heck of a lot of boaters. In all that time and all those miles, I have never seen one of those boats with any kind of cable connected to the anchor rode. We have help many boats and indeed had to kedge ourselves off a shoal more than once. In every case, we and other boaters used their primary anchor to get off. In many cases, time is of the essence since the tides might be falling or weather closing in. There aren't any boaters that I know who will take the time to set up a separate kedge to get themselves off. They will use what's at hand and what they know has worked to safely hold the boat in the past. Not to add, the need to carry and store another anchor and/or rode for use on very few occasions. As long time live-aboards and cruisers, we are well aware of space needed for storage and carrying extra weight on the boat. This whole process may be fine for the occasional boater or weekend user. But you'll be hard pressed to find special cables or anchors just for kedging on a serious cruiser. Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.