SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
I have used kedges with same size or slightly smaller size than main anchors with varying success

for leaning the mast to get off a sandbar or to keep the boat in a certain direction in current etc can be made to work just fine

danforths are great for sand...

although not a true careen we just hauled out my boat against some poles using 4 main anchors stuck in sand mud to keep the mast up and this worked quite well

it was a careen on sand...upright not like on a typical sandbar where you are leaned over and using a kedge to haul yourself off as the tide comes in

in any case

Reactions: MarioG

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
yup thats my new style for now in these sandy bottoms here....15 feet is a nice aount to help the anchor steady itself better...

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
commercial fishermen in some areas use cable and it works for them...its just not practical for most sailboats cause you need a very cumbersome and big drum...

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Every commercial fishing vessel I've seen or worked on, on the West Coast, from Mexico to Alaska has had a cable rode on a spool. It is also very common on commercial work boats, internationally. However, I would not recommend it on pleasure craft as it is usually a pretty messy, requires much more scope than chain and the cable does require frequent changing and a powerful windlass, normally hydraulic.
lots of tar or old burnt oil to grease it up

all the shrimpers here use it...as do most commercial boats over say 50feet

anywhoo

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
Ive seen many a boat, with around 5 feet and hose over the chain for a perfect kedge anchor setup

that 5 feet or so os enough to steady the anchor and make it easier to set and its not enough to make it hard to manhandle

and although I know this isnt common to me a kedge anchor should be able to be THROWABLE

down here panga fisherman do this this way as its the wonly way they can keep the boat off the surf and last through the hightide without going aground

its must be throwable so that means all rode, a little chain and some awesome biceps

the other reason for it being throwable is in the sense that if you run aground ever so lightly and have a visual on a sandbar or shallow area you can throw the acnhor towards it hope it catches and use that along with engine power and winches carefully to take you off...

this is of course before having to deploy dinghies or lean masts over etc...or wait for the tides

peace

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
thats what I was saying...they make the anchors down here same way...they are common all over the pacific

Ive thrown plenty of similar size small anchors...its the same basically

in this case its the weight that can do harm

a small kedge anchor for me has always been small enough to throw

Reactions: zeehag
1 - 7 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.