SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
I've seen a few reports where a SS cable is better than chain. It allows the anchor to dig deeper, hence a bit more pull out force to remove it.

A kedge to me is a smallish anchor that can be thrown, to pull you off. Maybe I am screwed up in the brain, would not be the first time. If I was to go this way, one of the new gen anchors like the Lewmar fast set I have works well on my boat. ie a 9 lb one, I've held myself, pulled myself better than equal wt danforths against my 30' 6500 or so lb boat. Held myself as RC duty in 10-15 knot winds one night. I do have a 6' chucnk of 3/8 bbb chain.

Marty

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
John,

Glad I am not as screwed up as I thought. For a Kedge, a rope only is probably how most of us would go.

I can see a danforth style as they are light, lots of surface area to grab once set. Even a graple style hook/anchor might work well if you have to literally throw it if you do not have use of a dinghy to get the "kedge/anchor" far enough away to make it work. I personally feel the smaller claw/manson/fastset style anchors would be better or best if you will. I find they set easier and better for this style of work.

Lighter slightly stretchy line would be on my list too. If in a rocky or coral area, then maybe a 3' chuck of plastic covered cable to help hold off the rubbing issues vs chain which is heavier for the same length and strength.

Marty

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
Chuck,

THe OTHER thing you need to look at, if I am reading the OPs question correctly, a kedge is NOT what I would call a permanent anchor if you will, ie it is a way to pull you off of a ledge you have hit, or keep the boat from going farther up a beach if you beach the boat, be it on purpose or accident. So it does not have to be as big, strong etc as one would want to get thru a hurricane overnight lets say.

Practical sailor also ran a test a month or two ago, showing that using a cable in a normal anchor situation would allow most if not all of the anchors to bury deeper in mud, giving the anchor more holding power by a few % points.

For this purpose, frankly lighter wt stuff may work well or better than heavier stuff if Classic is asking what I and at least JonE are calling a kedge!

Marty

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
Chuck,

I would agree that MOST of us will use some amount of chain on the anchor. How much, size, that certainly is debatable, has been, will be etc from now until eternity.

Depending upon boat size, I can see a smaller anchor that can be thrown for such a propose too, a large amount of chain may not be what one wants on the end. Or for racers, you want to hold yourself while the tide pushing you the wrong way, with a short wind die. a full overnight anchor setup is not needed. here no chain to a small amount of chain will work fine.

marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.