SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Ancor heat shrink connectors with adhesive and think they are great and the only way to go when rewiring. But I have a chance to buy some 3M ones reasonably and was wondering if anyone had used them and are they as good as Ancor connectors?
Thanks in advance for all the wisdom and opinions :)
turf

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
3M probably makes the stuff for Ancor! I use them every day on submersible pumps. What I do not recommend is the thin auto repair stuff. I like the heavy wall stuff rated for 600 volts as it sets up nice and stiff providing support for the connection.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
3-M ring terminals and other connectors are just fine, so long as you use a proper single crimp tool (e.g., the racheting Ancor 702010) designed for heat-shrink terminals. The racheting double crimp tools (by Ancor, Greenlee, et. al) are for nylon connectors, NOT heat shrink connectors. They tend to break thru the heat shrink, negating the waterproof design.

Warning re: Ancor terminals....about two months ago we came across a bad batch in which the heat shrink material was INSIDE the terminal connections, making for a no-contact crimp (0 ohms) or, worse in one case we noted, a partial connection which measured 10 ohms. This is the second bad batch we've seen, the first one a few years ago.

Bill

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sail and BT for the responses. I do use the Ancor single crimper when using these connectors BT, it wasnt cheap but it sure does a nice job. :D

turf

·
Super Moderator
6,762 Posts
You might also

You might also look into the FTZ connectors sold by Sailors Solutions. FTZ is a small company that makes a very high quality crimp connector. I have used 3M, Ancor and others and find the consistency to be lacking perhaps because companies like Ancor "source" product.

I actually suggested to Nick, one of the owners of Sailors Solutions, to bring in this line and to sell them in small quantities to fellow sailors. Sailors Solutions sells bags of 12 very reasonably ($10.95 per dozen) and they are very high quality.

Lyman Morse and many of the super high quality builders up here in Maine use them and buy them from the same distributor I buy from. The only problem with my distributor is that they sell quantities of 100 only with no mix & match.

Sailors Solutions FTZ Crimp Connectors (LINK)

They also sell the single ratchet crimper for heat shrink connectors for a lot less than the Ancor model @ $39.95

Sailors Solutions Single Ratchet Crimper $39.95 (LINK)

This is an FTZ yellow butt connector holding all those anchors..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Maine for all the great information. I had read your website on "wire termination" a while back and read all the other topics while there too!:laugher Great learning tools and great pictures. Never can have too many pics for us dummies. I ordered one of those rachet crimpers from Sailors Solutions to have an extra. I am assuming they are of the same quality of the Ancor ones? They look identical.
Thanks again
turf

·
Super Moderator
6,762 Posts
Sorry..

I forgot to mention that Sailors Solutions brought in Berkshire tinned marine grade wire too. Again the same stuff I've been using for years and it is excellent stuff. This is a made in the USA (MA) product.

The last time I spoke with him Nick was going to bring in Cobra Wire, and I thought he had, but it looks like he changed his mind. 14/2 for .69 per foot & 12/2 for .95..!!

Sailors Solutions Berkshire Tinned Marine Grade Wire (LINK)

P.S. I have no interest in this company other than the fact that I have been a huge fan of their Sensibulb product and have had many long conversations with Nick about all things boating/electrical and such.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Having read the opinions of the experts over several threads in many months, I offer my own. First, I do countless crimps every week in most any and all environments. Here's what I am most comfortable with. I use the correct size terminal for the conductor, sometimes doubling the wire back on itself to build thickness, or often crimping the conductor and a 'partner' so as to have something substantial to squeexe against. I prefer the Ancor shrinks, and I very often use a butane micro-torch to do the shrinking.
I've grown disenchanted with the Ancor ratchet crimping tool. It just isn't reliable...period. The next best tool I've tried is the Harbor Freight knock off which is a reasonable performer. The West Marine crimper with the interchangeable dies worked for a while, then it became impossible to tighten the frame sufficient to hold the dies adequately. The WM and HF tools are about the same in my opinion.
I've now come back full circle to the Klein tool. When I need to make a rock solid crimp, I use the Klein's semi-circular die position and squeeze like hell. A good crimp terminal won't crack or split. The problem I've had with the (much) cheaper Harbor Freight and Radio Shack variety terminals is that they seem to be made of very brittle plastic and don't like to be crimped regardless of what tool does it. I very often use the so-called telephone crimps for those occasions where I need to splice 22-26 ga conductors, as in instrument cabling where a junction box is impractical. The Klein has a die position that works wonderfully for that.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
.... I use the correct size terminal for the conductor, sometimes doubling the wire back on itself to build thickness, or often crimping the conductor and a 'partner' so as to have something substantial to squeexe against. I prefer the Ancor shrinks, and I very often use a butane micro-torch to do the shrinking.
If you're really using the proper size terminals, there should be no reason to "double" the wire back on itself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
So now I need ANOTHER ratcheting crimper? Sheeesh.

Maine...could you suggest to your friend at SS to sell a kit of various, most common connectors? I could just buy a dozen of each but I don't think I need a dozen of every kind. I don't know what I'll need for a given upcoming repair and I'd like to have a few of every kind on board.

·
Super Moderator
6,762 Posts
I've grown disenchanted with the Ancor ratchet crimping tool. It just isn't reliable...period. The next best tool I've tried is the Harbor Freight knock off which is a reasonable performer. The West Marine crimper with the interchangeable dies worked for a while, then it became impossible to tighten the frame sufficient to hold the dies adequately. The WM and HF tools are about the same in my opinion.
The more expensive Kleins are great tools. I am very surprised to hear that your Ancor ratchet crimper has been unreliable. I have literally thousands of crimps on mine, (both the single and double ratchet crimpers), never doubled over a wire or added a partner and still never had one not work.

The Ancor "double crimp tool" is a directional crimper though and perhaps you are using the wrong side of the die? I am on my second pair but only because the first pair died of rust due to lack of proper care (left it in a damp canvas tool bag on my boat)..

I also own the HF tool and don't see much if any comparison between it and the Ancor double crimp tool but if you say it works for you then that's good..

Here's a link to a post I did a while back with a few photos I took to show the two side by side.

Ancor Double Crimp Tool vs. Harbor Freight Double Crimp Tool (LINK)

·
Super Moderator
6,762 Posts
So now I need ANOTHER ratcheting crimper? Sheeesh.

Maine...could you suggest to your friend at SS to sell a kit of various, most common connectors? I could just buy a dozen of each but I don't think I need a dozen of every kind. I don't know what I'll need for a given upcoming repair and I'd like to have a few of every kind on board.
If you call Nick I'm sure he will work with you on a "kit". He's a great guy. I had already talked to him about making a kit but I think he wanted to wait and get enough data, on what actually sells, in terms of connectors, before making a "bundled" package. The labor to assemble and count out these kits gets expensive and I'm guessing why he's holding off for now?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Double Back

If you're really using the proper size terminals, there should be no reason to "double" the wire back on itself. :rolleyes:
As someone who was in the business until I retired in 2005:
Doublling back the connector on 20 or 22 wire into the starndard 18-22 terminal will give you a much better connection and a lot stronger too.

Sometimes it is useful when using say a 10-12 butt connector to attach a 12 to a 14 wire, doubling back the 14 is very beneficial.

Like most things, it is a useful practice in limited situations.

·
Super Moderator
6,762 Posts
Does this crimping tool really do a better job with the waterproof connectors than the Ancor ratcheting crimping tool?
I think both Ancor and FTZ source the identical single ratchet tool but FTZ sells it for less.

It's virtually identical:
FTZ Tool

Ancor Tool:

A single crimp ratchet tool is much kinder and gentler on the heat shrink than a double ratchet tool is but a double crimp tool will work in a pinch if you only have a couple of crimps to make..

·
Arf!
609 Posts
I think both Ancor and FTZ source the identical single ratchet tool but FTZ sells it for less.

It's virtually identical:
FTZ Tool

Ancor Tool:

A single crimp ratchet tool is much kinder and gentler on the heat shrink than a double ratchet tool is but a double crimp tool will work in a pinch if you only have a couple of crimps to make..
Of course the Ancor tool costs more -- the FTZ is in B&W :D

Since I already own the Ancor double crimp tool I think I will give it a try on the heat shrink crimps. I already have a lot of expensive tools that don't get used that often :rolleyes:

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Trekka-

One side of the die in the Ancor double crimper is sized to crimp the crimp fitting around the bare wire, the other is designed to crimp the strain relief portion of the crimp fitting around the insulated wire.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Ditto on what Maine said:

The double crimp racheting tool (Anchor, Greenlee, others) will cut thru heat shrink, thereby negating their use (why use waterproof connectors if you're gonna destroy the waterproof barrier?).

The single-crimp tool, also of racheting design, works beautifully without damaging the heat shrink coating.

At $39 it's a bargain (I recently paid $62 for the same tool).

Bill

1 - 20 of 40 Posts