SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The long awaited process of getting Serenade polished and waxed. The weather has been just enough above freezing the last couple of evenings that I decided to start the job. It's been at least a few years since anyone really took any care of the gel coat, and it definitely shows.
I'm using the HF version and Meguiar's oxidation remover for the first round. I am still very new to polishing gel coat, but so far it's looking better than it was. I think I'm going to see if I can find the wool pads mentioned in the 'Musings' thread. These foam pads just don't seem to last very long. So far I have about 10 feet of the port side compounded.
Anyway,a few pics from last evening, hopefully the difference is visible on screen...

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Moody 376
41 Posts
thats going to come out nicely. My moody had sat on the hard since 2012, untouched. it too came out very nice as well. I used the meguiars ultra cut. with a harbor frieght warrior variable speed rotary polisher. some pics of the hull and before and after on the dink.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! What did you use on the non skid portions?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Unhinged and Fluid
33 Posts
I was going to buy the Milwaukie cordless polisher because im a Milwaukie whore... but $250 vs $59 for the HF one...i think ill save some coin on this tool and go with the hf one

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I was going to buy the Milwaukie cordless polisher because im a Milwaukie whore... but $250 vs $59 for the HF one...i think ill save some coin on this tool and go with the hf one
I have a makita commercial grade polisher for the large areas and the wife got me the Milwaukee cordless for Christmas which will be great for the smaller areas...can't wait to try it!

I am a bit of a tool snob! I believe in buying quality knowing it will last me a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1987 Sabre 42 c/b
88 Posts
Just an FYI. If you get the Milwaukee definitely get the largest capacity battery available. The polisher will eat through batteries very quickly. Good for small areas but not really viable for doing a whole boat IMO unless you happen to have LOTS of charged batteries available. Love my Milwaukee cordless tools also.

And your boat is looking great. She will be happier when sailing for sure. And so will you.

Foster

1 - 8 of 8 Posts