SailNet Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,011 Posts
I got my Covid19 test results... They were negative. I presume my wife is as well... though she didn't get tested.
great

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Stay away from Oysters��������

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
Sounds like it. What a tragedy. Tether in. Especially when alone. At least, I hope he was alone and they simply haven't come across others.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sounds like it. What a tragedy. Tether in. Especially when alone. At least, I hope he was alone and they simply haven't come across others.
Wonder if he fell in and could not get back on board before the cold got him. Just off Oyster Bay too wonder how many boats passed by not knowing he was in trouble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Water temps are serious this time of year, more than most seem to realize.

However, I’m going to take a different look at this. A 10 ft inflatable should easily be rated for 4 or 5 people. They reportedly had life jackets on, so I’m not sure how we think they were unprepared or non-compliant. Seas in that pic don’t look that bad, although, pics can be deceiving.

I get the questions, but it doesn’t read all that outrageous to me. Not all boaters can afford a sport fisher to go fishing. If they were ********, with empty beer cans, no registration, etc, toss them in jail. Otherwise, they were just on the water and it bit back. No one is immune.
Sounds like you've had this exact same thing happen to you once or twice before :wink

·
Registered
510 Posts
I guess my question would be whether this was a proper inflatable (Zodiac/Avon or the like), or a $99 raft from Wal-Mart??

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I guess my question would be whether this was a proper inflatable (Zodiac/Avon or the like), or a $99 raft from Wal-Mart??
Good point. Though three fellows, too many Cervezas and fishing hooks are a bad combination and it may not matter what type of raft they were in.

·
Captain Obvious
2,379 Posts
Departed Stamford at 0730... sky was overcast winds cold from NW. No activity at SCYC. Saw no boats in the AM but may 3 small boats fishing. The sail in the first part of the trip was actually lovely.. beam reach true winds 15-20kts true. Boat was moving well despite having an uncleaned and not recently painted bottom.

Winds as predicted grew lighter, the sky brighter, it became hot and some sail and a few powerboats appeared on reciprocal courses. By late afternoon there were what looked to me like normal mid weak "density" of boats... not what you would see on a beautiful Saturday afternoon

Heading up the CT River we encountered 10 or 15 power boats and only one sailboat under sail heading south. OLM had about 10-15 boats moored... a few people on one or two boats. The marina was closed when we came ashore and there was no activity going on. It was eerily quiet.

Good news is that all on board systems worked properly, but the propane tank was empty we discovered at lunch. So we hooked up the spare. I will resume projects unfinished in water winter store when the weather is warmer... varnish, gelcoat repairs/touch ups, some waxing and some new running rigging.

It did not feel like mid May weather or activity on the water. We'll see if and how this changes.

Pictures from the trip.

Heading out of Stamford

4 hour reach

Blue skies and wind dying - we might be motorsailing by this point.

safely at the new mooring

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Old Lyme Marine is working hard to catch up. No one is in office, Bathroom is not open.

Empty slips.

Launch operator wears mask as do passengers.

A few boats are arrived for the moorings.

Overall there is little boating activity.

+++++

Received this email this AM:

The office and marina buildings are closed to the public. Please respect this decision.

Mask/facial covering must be worn while on marina property until you reach your boat.

Please remember to practice social distancing (6 feet apart) from others whenever possible. This includes while waiting for launch or walking to and from your slip.

We encourage you to use the head on your own boat. There will be one restroom (unisex) open for customer use, the other will be for employees. Please wear a mask while in the restroom.

The ice machine will be closed for now.

Carts must be returned to designated area. For your personal safety, please use hand sanitizer provided to disinfect your hands.

LAUNCH CUSTOMERS must wear a mask/facial covering to ride in launch to or from their boat. The launch operator will transport 2 customers at a time going to the same boat. He will not be able to pick up customers from separate boats on same launch trip. In between trips, the launch will be cleaned and disinfected. We understand this may mean a wait time for drop off and pick up – we appreciate your patience. In the past the launch operator has assisted customers on and off their boat as well as help load their gear, for obvious reasons, he will not be doing that this year. For launch rides please call 860 434 1272 or VHF channel 9.

Our staff is here to help you with your lines, but please be mindful of your distance. Throw lines whenever possible and avoid a direct hand-off of lines or goods whenever possible.

If you desire to provide a tip for our launch operator, please avoid a direct hand-off, instead drop off an envelope in mail slot of office door.

Stay home if you are sick! Currently, the CDC recommends that people with an infectious illness remain at home until at least 48 hours after they are free of fever (100 degrees F or 37.8 degrees C) or signs of a fever without the use of fever-reducing medications.

We appreciate you respecting all posted signage and changes. I will continue to monitor guidelines and information received from the state of CT and will make changes as necessary to mitigate our employees risks as well as yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Had an interesting West Marine experience. Needed a 1 inch shaft zinc for launching the boat. Because of COVID19 no one is allowed in the store. Called them up told them what I needed. Drove up to the store a fellow came out took my credit card went back in and then came out with the zinc, card and receipt. Did not even have to get out of the car. Nice.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Had an interesting West Marine experience. Needed a 1 inch shaft zinc for launching the boat. Because of COVID19 no one is allowed in the store. Called them up told them what I needed. Drove up to the store a fellow came out took my credit card went back in and then came out with the zinc, card and receipt. Did not even have to get out of the car. Nice.
i Had the same experience at WM in Stamford 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
That must be state-specific. The West Marine in FL here is full of people. Few with masks, and none on the employees. No distancing measures taken - everyone including employees standing next to another in line, consulting, etc.

Mark

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
That must be state-specific. The West Marine in FL here is full of people. Few with masks, and none on the employees. No distancing measures taken - everyone including employees standing next to another in line, consulting, etc.

Mark
"Florida Man Gets COVID"....

21 - 37 of 37 Posts