SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody bought one of these?
Home
Being in the market for a cheapo GPS, I think maybe...........and only $339.00.
Still I've never used a chart plotter and never use GPS for more'n lat, lon and speed cuz I love my paper charts and plotting positions etc.
What y'all think?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the post.
I am looking for something similar and would have a couple of questions about the unit.
- I assume that because it is running android it is possible to add world
wide charts?
- How does the screen work in direct sunlight? Even the best IPAD and similar android based tablets fail miserably in this department.
- Built in GPS means true GPS even when 1000 miles from the nearest cell phone tower?
- How does the deep find transducer work/mount?

I am going to do some reading on the site and see if I can't find some answers.

For an interesting alternative you might look at Earl, a crowd sourced/funded project which is just about to ship their first units;
https://www.meetearl.com/

A black/white display is a bit of a deal breaker for me but worth looking at.

John

·
Registered
266 Posts
Aside from the waterproof-ness, it's... just an android tab pre-loaded with some apps that can already be purchased, and you can add a separate transducer for finding fish, if I read it right? I guess for someone who has nothing yet, it could be a good deal. The updates and live weather are going to depend on data connectivity so if you have none, I can't see how that would work. You'd still have to download the maps offline to use when out and about, just like you would with an existing tablet. And no offense, but the last Pantech smartphones I looked at didn't wow me in the display department. This is just like any other tablet or smartphone, and the resolution is average at best, as are the rest of the specs. I just couldn't see myself using it as a primary nav source, I'd rather put it towards a dedicated system that I know is going to work, even if a slightly smaller screen-size. That's just me :)

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Not so fast Paul! It's an Android. Just buy Navionics for whatever part of the world you're going to. About $55 US.
Assuming it has access to the Google play marketplace. Not all android devices do such as the Kindle and Fire HD (they can after being hacked, but still have limited capabilities).

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Pantech has been supplying "waterproof" tablets to AT&T Cellular for some years now. AFAIK it is an exclusive deal and I haven't any idea what their deal is, but I also haven't heard any feedback on Pantech's products at all. They're dirt cheap for "waterproof" but the questions are how bright they are, and how waterproof they are. They never impressed me.

But then again, a Panasonic Toughbook makes an iPad look cheap.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Not so fast Paul! It's an Android. Just buy Navionics for whatever part of the world you're going to. About $55 US.
Indeed, but then no weather, no tides etc. It's then just a waterproofed Android tablet from some unknown manufacturer with software you had to buy yourself with a cell module that might, or might not, work with providers outside of the US.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
"Indeed, but then no weather, no tides etc."
What, the free or cheap wx and current apps aren't good enough? Odds are you can replicate the bundle. Try Voyana.com "Currents" for US offshore waters. Other countries usually involve license fees for the same type of information, and the Pantech bundle won't be global either.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
That's kind of my point, outside of the US it's just a waterproof Android tablet that you have to go and load all the software you need yourself, whether free or cheap. For the US folks it looks like a good unit as those bits are already on there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts