SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I'm looking for a sailing school recommendation in the Annapolis area for my step-son, who is 14 (will be 15 in a few months). He's a real beginner--we just got our boat this year, and the three of us (my wife, step-son, and I) have been going out on weekends. He's been doing great, and learning things as he goes.

But I know that I didn't really learn to sail until I took classes. And if he's interested, we'd like to offer him the opportunity to take classes too.

I know there are many schools in the Annapolis area, so that's why I ask for a recommendation. When looking online, it seemed as though most classes for beginners were for much younger kids, and most classes for kids the age of my step-son were more advanced. Neither of those would be a good fit.

I would really like this to be a positive and fun experience for him (again, if he wants to go--we're not going to make him do it).

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
-J

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll check out all these options. I'm going to write/call several schools/clubs, and just see what they say. As mentioned above, they might all be booked, so we'll see.

We meant to get on this sooner, but with the purchase of the boat, bringing it home, etc., the summer just sneaked up on us!

Of course, our son will likely have lots of fun on the boat even if we can't find classes, but sailing really opened up for me once I understood it, and knew terminology etc. He really enjoys being a part of what's going on around him, rather than a passenger. So we'd like to help with with that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.