SailNet Community banner

81 - 100 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
if all goes well, we will be moving aboard our new (to us) boat in Annapolis a few days before the boat show starts. We expect to spend a lot of money at the boat show ... would enjoy spending a few more dollars on beers with Sailnet members if someone organizes a shindig.
You have a Kelly Peterson 44 ? Thats a really nice boat.... :ship-captain:

·
Administrator
9,066 Posts
I plan to be at the show. I am just not sure which day.

Jeff

Reactions: sailforlife

·
Registered
132 Posts
You have a Kelly Peterson 44 ? Thats a really nice boat.... :ship-captain:
Aye it was, thank you kindly ... we sold it, though. We have a contract on a Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 that's parked directly across Spa Creek from the yacht basin. We expect to close on it Sept. 28 and move aboard a day or so later.

Our plan is to spend too much money at the boat show, and then sail south to Hampton, VA and join up with the Salty Dawg Rally to the Caribbean in early November.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Aye it was, thank you kindly ... we sold it, though. We have a contract on a Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 that's parked directly across Spa Creek from the yacht basin. We expect to close on it Sept. 28 and move aboard a day or so later.

Our plan is to spend too much money at the boat show, and then sail south to Hampton, VA and join up with the Salty Dawg Rally to the Caribbean in early November.
Going for the CAT life.... :ship-captain:

·
12,261 Posts
One of the effective ways to buy things at the show is a list.....and prices you’ve researched on the net. Many times what looks like a deal....is just the window dressing and the excitement of being around a lot of sailors, Know what you buying. Take you I pad and compare pricing. Also don’t be afraid to bargain with the vendors. That’s why I like going the last day. That’s when I have seen the best “real deals”
Don’t fall for the “boat show price “ moniker.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Going for the CAT life.... :ship-captain:
Good move. We did that at Miami Boat Show earlier this year. Committed to a Seawind 1160 Lite new build. Started building in July. We just got back from Vietnam checking out the progress in person. Expected completion late October. Arrival by ship in Miami in November.

We will be in Annapolis for some last minute shopping as well.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
My T37 Needs a lot of of things what would be the must have that I should focus on. On the top of my list is new instruments transducer etc. Also was going to get a new composting head but I am second guessing that because of that stupid rule that they are passing about composting heads and solar Budget is 10k.I know is not a lot but it is all I could save before the show.

·
12,261 Posts
The best prices on things are for those who get on the e mail lists of major distributors and check periodically for their sales. Many of them have different times of the year where the put specific items on sale at deep discounts. There is even one usually who has a major sale of large percentage off on all items on a holiday. Do your due diligence and work. Have your list but don’t get into the adrenaline rush of being at a place where there a lot of sailors together and advertisements of " boat show prices"

If you do your homework you can/ will save major money by not OVERPAYING by buying at the boat show. It's your choice. If I had a list as large as yours id want to be able to get as much on that list eventually. Those salesman will see you coming miles away and be glad to part you from your money.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The best prices on things are for those who get on the e mail lists of major distributors and check periodically for their sales. Many of them have different times of the year where the put specific items on sale at deep discounts. There is even one usually who has a major sale of large percentage off on all items on a holiday. Do your due diligence and work. Have your list but don’t get into the adrenaline rush of being at a place where there a lot of sailors together and advertisements of " boat show prices"

If you do your homework you can/ will save major money by not OVERPAYING by buying at the boat show. It's your choice. If I had a list as large as yours id want to be able to get as much on that list eventually. Those salesman will see you coming miles away and be glad to part you from your money.
Very true. What I've found is that if Defender sells what you need, you can't beat their pricing during Boat Show sale (that just ended last Saturday), or their annual Warehouse Sale (an even bigger event).

Hopefully someone has a retort of where to beat that! Fingers crossed.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I mentioned previously on this thread that I had a family conflict that weekend. Now it looks like I might be able to rearrange things to pass through Annapolis on Sunday. If so, I'd be happy to meet up with other Sailnuts.

I don't buy much when I'm there, but I like the vibe and the general opportunity to look around. I agree with the warning to beware of false sale prices. (Although I did score a pretty nice dinghy for $600 last year.) I've grown tired of looking at brand new, shiny sailboats, but the gear and seminars are fun. I do try to renew my BoatUS/Towboat membership every year, as they have a pretty good package price. And my wife always finds neat stuff for the galley (and for our home kitchen too).

I'll probably talk to some vendors about a mainsail. I'm really due for some refurbishing (reset bolt rope might be adequate) or replacement. I've been scared off of the latter because of the high cost, especially since I'd like to keep my Dutchman system, which seems to add a lot of $$$ to the job. So I may give a try to a refurb of my current sail. My prior boat's performance was greatly enhanced by merely resetting the bolt rope.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
5 DAYS TO GO!!! foot is still not perfect but good enough can't wait! What is the temperature like ? Do I need a jacket I am a FL boy...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
SOOO many sailboats !!! way more than Miami. Loved the show, love annapolis, I already have a list of 6 things to purchase.
Is it just me or are all the new boats looking the same, like alien UFOS. PS, PAINKILLERS are awesome!

81 - 100 of 151 Posts