SailNet Community banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
It was a great show. Lots of cats. Rebates on B&G electronics I had not seen until show, and only good during show days. Purchased a Zeus 3 and 4G radar ($400 rebate), having West Marine ship. Helly Hanson jackets for wife and I at $100 off each. Communication headsets, Fortress anchor bag, all cheaper than Defender sale. All the reps had their experts there to answer questions, demo electronics, etc. We started Monday with tour of Naval Academy, Tuesday historic homes and capital, Wednesday sailing on a friend's Seawind cat on the Chesapeake. Thur and Fri at the boat show. Flight home in am. Oh, and Annapolis Doubletree had free shuttle to show and back running every half hour, to 11 pm. And ate enough crab cakes, crab and artichoke dip, crab soup, crab sandwiches, and had some decent local brews.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Been here now 3 days you all have amazing weather and the people are sooooo nice. Heading back to the show today.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
We just parked in Eastport, and walking over to the show. Happy to say hello to anyone who is there. We usually do lunch at Fleet Reserve Club, so that’s a possible meetup point.

Reactions: sailforlife

·
Administrator
9,054 Posts
I thought it was a good show, but I was very distressed at the current trends in evidence. The one trend that seemed crazy to me is that almost none of the European boats have travelers. I asked a bunch salesmen why that is and whether you can have an option of having a traveler, most said that travelers could not be added and one salesmen clearly didn't know what a traveler did.

The folks at X-yachts we're candid that the race boats no longer sell and that they are only getting orders for the cruising models and cruisers don't want travelers.

Another disturbing trend was that dodger and Biminis have morphed into cockpit covers that were bigger than my house's living room and dining room combined.

On the flip side, the boat show said that statistically, there was a large increase in the number of new monohull models at the show. On the other hand there were fewer multihulls than the last two years, but they were much larger on average than in the past years.

·
Registered
21,785 Posts
....one trend that seemed crazy to me is that almost none of the European boats have travelers....l
Sorry I missed you, Jeff. I was exhausted crawling through boats with a buddy. He likes the larger Hanse, I forget if it was about a 54.

Anyway, we went aboard the larger X Yachts too and much seemed pretty similar to Hanse. The salespeople aboard the X Yachts were awful, however. Noted the X had a hydraulic vang. That could likely make up for lack of a traveler, no?

Reactions: sailforlife

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Those new Tartans looked really nice! The wood interiors and workmanship was great. I also liked the Elan they had some nice looking boats. The Tartans were my favorites, not into the new modern sleek space ship look that the companies are all moving to. They all look the same, no individuality can't tell them apart. I got what I think is a good deal from West Marine two triton2 digital displays, the new B & G Ws320 Wireless Wind Sensor with receiver and the depth speed and temperature sensor, I believe something like that. All for like 1700. Tried to compare the price to defender and it seemed cheaper. Also got me some Tilley hats they look really well built. Next I am looking at the zeus 3 and zeus 2 I can pick up the 2 for 2k less but I cant tell what the difference is between the two units. The B&G website has not been that helpful.Been staying in Annapolis landing lovely marina. You all have a really nice setup up here, I like Annapolis, the people are very friendly and the town is lovely. Seriously considering a move or to be transient ones in a while.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I thought it was a good show, but I was very distressed at the current trends in evidence. The one trend that seemed crazy to me is that almost none of the European boats have travelers. I asked a bunch salesmen why that is and whether you can have an option of having a traveler, most said that travelers could not be added and one salesmen clearly didn't know what a traveler did.

The folks at X-yachts we're candid that the race boats no longer sell and that they are only getting orders for the cruising models and cruisers don't want travelers.

Another disturbing trend was that dodger and Biminis have morphed into cockpit covers that were bigger than my house's living room and dining room combined.

On the flip side, the boat show said that statistically, there was a large increase in the number of new monohull models at the show. On the other hand there were fewer multihulls than the last two years, but they were much larger on average than in the past years.
Did not notice the traveler situation I believe the tartans all had it. But I did notice the dodger and biminis that was very odd. The sailboat situation was great, in the Miami simply sail or the boat show there were like maybe 10 sailboats. This was sailboat heaven out here, I have been to both shows this year Miami and Annapolis and I enjoyed this show much more. :captain:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Zeus 3 screen resolution much better and can be read from very tight angles and with polarized sunglasses. Also has built in Wi-Fi and autorouting. Zeus 2 lacked both of these but is a good unit. Had it on previous boat.

I found west marine at the show making deals on b&g equipment, whereby it's usually priced at retail for west and defender. I was shocked. Plus got a $400 rebate coupon, and 4% back in west marine advantage points.

·
Registered
79 Posts
And I agree that although I attended Miami show earlier this year and contracted for my Seawind cat then, the Annapolis show was much better. Thankfully we committed after the Miami show though, because only two more months the new boat gets offloaded in Miami.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
And I agree that although I attended Miami show earlier this year and contracted for my Seawind cat then, the Annapolis show was much better. Thankfully we committed after the Miami show though, because only two more months the new boat gets offloaded in Miami.

I went into the Seawinds today , I checked out the 38 what size did you pick up?

:cut_out_animated_em

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Zeus 3 screen resolution much better and can be read from very tight angles and with polarized sunglasses. Also has built in Wi-Fi and autorouting. Zeus 2 lacked both of these but is a good unit. Had it on previous boat.

I found west marine at the show making deals on b&g equipment, whereby it's usually priced at retail for west and defender. I was shocked. Plus got a $400 rebate coupon, and 4% back in west marine advantage points.

I googled the autorouting and found this https://www.bandg.com/news/nos181/

Another feature I think I remember I read about the zeus3 is that it has the forward scanning feature integrated. The Zeus2 does not also I believe the zeus3 has faster software. I have been trying to find a youtube video comparing the two but I have not been able to find one. In terms of cost it is a huge difference I can pick up a zeus2 from defender for 750.oo thats taxes on the zeus3 lol :2 boat:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
It was a great show. Lots of cats. Rebates on B&G electronics I had not seen until show, and only good during show days. Purchased a Zeus 3 and 4G radar ($400 rebate), having West Marine ship. Helly Hanson jackets for wife and I at $100 off each. Communication headsets, Fortress anchor bag, all cheaper than Defender sale. All the reps had their experts there to answer questions, demo electronics, etc. We started Monday with tour of Naval Academy, Tuesday historic homes and capital, Wednesday sailing on a friend's Seawind cat on the Chesapeake. Thur and Fri at the boat show. Flight home in am. Oh, and Annapolis Doubletree had free shuttle to show and back running every half hour, to 11 pm. And ate enough crab cakes, crab and artichoke dip, crab soup, crab sandwiches, and had some decent local brews.

What size zeus3 did you pick up?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went into the Seawinds today , I checked out the 38 what size did you pick up?

:cut_out_animated_em
The Seawind 1160 Lite, the 38 ft model. Except I opted for the twin Yamaha 25 HP high thrust outboards. Some other changes to sails (Dimension Polyant GPL Lite Skin - carbon, square top main, roachy jib), electronics (Zeus 3, 4G radar, Vesper AIS, Icon vhf), etc. And only one head, which leaves the starboard bow room as a giant storage locker. No oven, but large Aussie BBQ griddle.

Layup started in July. We were in Vietnam 3 weeks ago checking it out. Supposed to be finished early Nov, then on ship to Miami. Super excited after seeing build process. Really stiff boat. All resin infusion, no wood except for thin veneer on composite panels for interior.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
The Seawind 1160 Lite, the 38 ft model. Except I opted for the twin Yamaha 25 HP high thrust outboards. Some other changes to sails (Dimension Polyant GPL Lite Skin - carbon, square top main, roachy jib), electronics (Zeus 3, 4G radar, Vesper AIS, Icon vhf), etc. And only one head, which leaves the starboard bow room as a giant storage locker. No oven, but large Aussie BBQ griddle.

Layup started in July. We were in Vietnam 3 weeks ago checking it out. Supposed to be finished early Nov, then on ship to Miami. Super excited after seeing build process. Really stiff boat. All resin infusion, no wood except for thin veneer on composite panels for interior.

Nice, thats the one I was in today, good choice! :captain: Hope you get that delivery soon!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
12 inch. Boat has a 21 ft beam, and I want to be able to see it from across the saloon!

Cool I was looking at the 9 for my sailboat, I asked about the deal you got and they offered me the rebate. They said the zeus3 9 inch and 4G Radar 3800 or 3900 minus the rebate. I am thinking about it. Might do the zeus2 for 750 and then pick up a radar in the future I need to do some research but the show ends tomorrow so, time is limited. :grin:2 boat::captain:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cool I was looking at the 9 for my sailboat, I asked about the deal you got and they offered me the rebate. They said the zeus3 9 inch and 4G Radar 3800 or 3900 minus the rebate. I am thinking about it. Might do the zeus2 for 750 and then pick up a radar in the future I need to do some research but the show ends tomorrow so, time is limited. :grin:2 boat::captain:
To get the rebate, the sales receipt has to show a date of Oct 4-8, no later. I had the Zeus 2, 9 inch on my Seawind 1000. It was a good unit. 4G radar also, very impressive and low power draw compared to conventional.

·
Registered
21,785 Posts
Do they publish attendance? While the show was well attended, I actually felt it was slightly less than past years. My measuring stick was actually getting a seat at the bar at Middleton’s and Pussers for lunch. Places are usually 2-3 deep.

101 - 120 of 151 Posts