SailNet Community banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Administrator
270 Posts
It was a Royal Cape Majestic 530, special flybridge model. The owner was an interesting dude; a delivery captain who is going to cruise with his 3 (or 4?) kids. I think the boat had 6 cabins...
Thanks! I couldn't remember. I think he has three or four daughters and one son, if I remember the spiel the salesperson told me. Fully custom interior - and very nice!

·
Registered
21,761 Posts
I did notice several pitches for "Boat as a Business". You buy the boat, take on the debt and the charter company rents it out and covers your costs. At least for the first few years, you own a boat for nothing but the down payment.

I think the Caribbean charter companies want cats mostly. I think that drives some of the display.

I hated walking past the guy in the tent, pitching this concept like an infomercial. Never buy anything that needs to be sold to you by a guy with a microphone, yelling like a snake oil salesman. I was amazed that the tent was standing room only, every time I passed. People are so often drawn to something for nothing.

The problem is that you depreciate your tax basis to zero. When the charter company is done with your boat in a few years, you have to either sell it and pay taxes on whatever it sells for, suddenly take on all those expenses yourself, like you bought it outright in the first place, or trade up into a newer bigger model and roll your tax basis forward. Guess which one the charter company pitches to you.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Show was awesome, prices are not the best but you can check stuff out and buy it elsewhere. The environment and the town was electric. Touring all the sailboats and seeing all the new products had me like a kid in a candy store. I will definitely be up again next year. Hoping to bring my own sailboat up to the Chesapeake and Annapolis Landing marina.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks to all who attended the show and stopped by our Bennett Bros. Yachts booth
it keeps our industry alive.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Just curious, did they have a "brokerage cove" this year? I looked over to the normal location as I was walking across the Spa Creek bridge on Sunday, and saw nothing over there. The area looked like it was reserved for something (otherwise there would have been boats moored), but there were absolutely no boats - probably the largest boat-free zone in all of Annapolis!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just curious, did they have a "brokerage cove" this year? I looked over to the normal location as I was walking across the Spa Creek bridge on Sunday, and saw nothing over there. The area looked like it was reserved for something (otherwise there would have been boats moored), but there were absolutely no boats - probably the largest boat-free zone in all of Annapolis!
No for sail show yes for power show.

·
Registered
21,761 Posts
They didn’t get enough boats for the sail show.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
They didn’t get enough boats for the sail show.
What’s the business model? How much were above standard commission were brokers asking owners to pay in order to feature a boat at the show? Of does the cost fall entirely on the broker?

·
Registered
21,761 Posts
What’s the business model? How much were above standard commission were brokers asking owners to pay in order to feature a boat at the show? Of does the cost fall entirely on the broker?
I don’t know the specifics, but I know a broker that had several larger boats prepared for the show and was told they didn’t have enough. He was annoyed and said that’s where boats are sold at the show. Although, that surprised me too.

It might surprise some to know that not all boats, in the new show, where actually new. Many are recent models and pre-owned. Some were just for demo, others were for sale themselves.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It might surprise some to know that not all boats, in the new show, where actually new. Many are recent models and pre-owned. Some were just for demo, others were for sale themselves.
Not surprised at all. When we ordered our Seawind cat, there was a long list of options to choose or not. Plus delivery was about 11 months out. Unless it's hull number one of a brand new model, the boats are "sold" before the hull is laid up. Boats in the show all belong to individuals. Probably some financial incentive given. But Seawind is not building spec boats for shows.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

141 - 151 of 151 Posts