SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with the area and which hotels may still have rooms, called Lowes and the marriott and they are both full! Thanks Stteve...

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Most of the hotels outside of town have free shuttles to the show so don't be wary of being farther out. Less expensive, too. Before we started sailing down we stayed at Lowes and the hotel next door (Irish name, can't remember what it is) because we liked to be within walking distance. I always had to call for reservations by February or March. They fill up quickly.

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you're trying to reserve a hotel room for this year's show you'll probably have to stay in Baltimore or one of the hotels near BWI. Commuting across the Bay Bridge to hotels on Kent Island/Grasonville can be an option too. Now would be the time to start thinking about reserving a room for the 2015 show.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Checkout hotwire.com and see how you do. We have had good success with them, as long as you don't mind not knowing what hotel you are getting. Their star rating is pretty conservative.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone who responded.. . .guess I will know better next year although may not need to go then if I find a nice saikboat this year! Take care...... Stteve...

·
Advanced beginner
461 Posts
DC and Baltimore are much bigger towns than Annapolis, and you can combine the boat show with some DC sightseeing if you stay in DC.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,326 Posts
Consider Bowie or BWI area as mentioned. You may get lucky finding a room private redsidence or B&B like many do doing graduation week from the Naval Academy.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Thanks to everyone who responded.. . .guess I will know better next year although may not need to go then if I find a nice saikboat this year! Take care...... Stteve...
There's a LOT of hotels within 10 miles of Annapolis. Any of the hotel search engines will find some for you. There are a few that won't give you a name until you commit, but most do. I've used Expedia quite a bit. Thursday is the best day to go, it's VIP day. Costs more but crowds are a lot smaller.

If you have to drive into town,most people go to the Naval academy football stadium parking lot to park and they have buses to take you right to the gate. The wait time is seldom more than 5 minutes.

·
2,449 Posts
There are always reasonable rooms around BWI and it's and easy ride down 97 into Annapolis.

I'm not a fan of the buses. We usually get into town early in the morning and grab breakfast before the show.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Is anyone familiar with the area and which hotels may still have rooms, called Lowes and the marriott and they are both full!
Go for BWI hotels.

I just called everyplace in Annapolis (B&Bs, hotels, and the major house rental firms) last week trying to find a room for Jimmy Cornell who will unexpectedly be in Annapolis for Boat Show. No luck. I couldn't find anywhere within range of the shuttles, much less in walking distance. Jimmy is staying in our guest room.

There is plenty of room up near BWI. Unless you are here first thing in the morning use one of the parking garages on West St and take a shuttle. Parking should be available at the Naval Academy stadium again, also with a shuttle.

City of Annapolis police will once again be enforcing parking regulations aggressively in Eastport (the issue is fire truck access). Pay attention to the parking signs that require a resident sticker for parking. Neighbors will call for tows.

If you like the show stop somewhere on your way out and make reservations for next year. Remember you are not only competing with all the attendees but all the out of town venders and brokers.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm not a fan of the buses. We usually get into town early in the morning and grab breakfast before the show.
I'm not crazy about the buses either, but it beats the heck out of getting up at 5 am to get there early enough to get a parking spot within walking distance. I'm driving in from south of Richmond.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Go for BWI hotels.

I just called everyplace in Annapolis (B&Bs, hotels, and the major house rental firms) last week trying to find a room for Jimmy Cornell who will unexpectedly be in Annapolis for Boat Show. No luck.
My wife travels a lot in her business. She learned years ago that usually you waste your time calling individual hotels. MUCH better luck using the hotel search engines...Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, etc. Often she would call and get "sorry, no vacancy". Go online and like magic, rooms are available...and cheaper than talking to a hotel employee.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
My wife travels a lot in her business. She learned years ago that usually you waste your time calling individual hotels. MUCH better luck using the hotel search engines...Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, etc. Often she would call and get "sorry, no vacancy". Go online and like magic, rooms are available...and cheaper than talking to a hotel employee.
I did that also. B&B aggregators, Hotwire, Kayak, ....

Reservations for Boat Show in Annapolis start a year out and the spots are pretty much gone by July. You might catch a break into August. After that you are counting on cancellations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to let everyone know that I found a room for the 9th and 10th and hopefully that will be enough.......if not I'll try later for some cancellations!!!! Thanks again Stteve...

1 - 20 of 97 Posts