SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a recommendation for a surveyor in Annapolis. The last 2 I used retired. Will be surveying a mid 80's -37 foot Tartan. Need to survey with next couple weeks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Lon Acheson. Just google him and his info will pop up. I used him last year when I bought my boat. I was very pleased. He was very thorough. There were no surprises after the purchase.
________
Medical Marijuana Card

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Two years ago I used Steven Uhthoff with no regrets. Very thorough and no suprises after purchase. He's in Annapolis at 410-263-8980.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
For our first survey, we used David Manning. He was very thorough, and was happy to show me everything he was seeing. He's listed on the boatus site.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
David Manning is one I have used and recommended also. he is very thorough, professional, will climb the mast and is a small man and going into every compartment. he explains everything he sees and is an advocate to the person buying the boat. I would use him again.

Dave

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,422 Posts
You should consider Derek Rhymes--NAMS-CMS certified and SAMS accredited. I've used him for an accident survey and he was informative and thorough.

·
thinking of this...
224 Posts
I second arf145's recommendation of Derek Rhymes
All boat & Yacht Inspections, LLC
410-268-4404
His pre-purchase survey 2 years ago for my boat was excellent. He spent the better part of a day on a sea trial, haul out and thorough boat inspection. And he answered the tons of questions I had.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Another vote for David Manning,

Manning Marine Survey
David Manning - Annapolis, MD
(410) 263-5852

Lots of good sailboat surveyors in that area but how many actually go up the mast? Something about a guy checking your rig with binoculars leaves me uneasy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should consider Derek Rhymes--NAMS-CMS certified and SAMS accredited. I've used him for an accident survey and he was informative and thorough.
I second that, I used him for the pre-purchase survey of my 82 Morgan 416 and he was very thorough and saved me some money. He did his apprenticeship under Jack Horner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We used Bob Turner of Kelsey-Turner & Associates (443-336-2980) last year when we bought our Niagara 31. He was very thorough and even followed up at the shop on the condition of some repairs that he had noted were needed. He was also very accessible months later when we had questions about some items in the survey.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
I am also looking for a surveyor in the Annapolis area (Pasadena). I've spoken with Charles (Chuck) Thomas of CAT Enterprises LLC, Marine Survey & Consulting.

If anybody has feedback on his work I would appreciate it. Over the phone he has been professional, returned my calls (big plus), and he has been up front about recommending a separate rigging and mechanical inspection.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Apparently this was a dead thread. No matter. I’ll update this thread for future reference.

I went with Chuck Thomas, CAT Enterprises, so I just want to give a "shout-out" to Chuck. He did a great job. He was on the boat from 6:30AM to 6:30PM. He looked at most everything and created a very comprehensive list of recommendations and observations.

He was also very professional and courteous to the owner of the vessel who showed up to pilot for the sea trial. Since we were on board tearing apart this guy's home and criticizing every little detail, it was good to have a surveyor who was very diplomatic. Assuming that I wanted to go forward with the deal (which I did), I really didn't want to antagonize the current owner.

Chuck does not inspect the rigging so I had a separate rigger do that once we confirmed the hull was in good condition.

So in summary I recommend Chuck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts