SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are anodes on the 2gmf (fresh water cooled)? The manual shows anodes for the 2gm version but unsure if the 2gmf requires anodes to be be inspected/changed.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm nearly certain the answer is yes, but my shop manual is on the boat and I am not. I'll bump the thread later in the week if you don't get a definitive answer.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
None of the gmf (2gm, 3gm) freshwater cooled engines have anodes, Yanmar says it's because they don't use dissimilar metals in the heat exchanger.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
I've owned two 3GMF's and one 2GMF and none had anodes.

Reactions: JimsCAL

·
Registered
620 Posts
Me too, Phil, I recently spent 45 minutes looking for the transmission dipstick on my new pickup, there isn't one.
I thought for a while that the world has passed me by, is now confirmed for sure!

My understanding on Yanmar GMs
On GMF's (fresh water cooled) with heat exchanges. No anodes.

On GM's (raw water cooled) Yes anodes. One each cylinder.

On my 3GMC , raw water cooled / C= saildrive there are total 3 anodes (zincs as I call them) 2 along side of motor, under exhaust manifold, (one is behind secondary fuel filter) and 3rd is mounted on end next to exhaust elbow.

For saildrives, in addition to external lower, there is an anode up on side of SD.
Opposite side from water intake up high near yellow oil fill cap.
Not all are aware this one exists.

Is an adventure to change them!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My 3GM30F (and I believe the 2GM also) has a Cu-Ni heat exchanger and has no zinc anode.
I asked the largest dealer of Yanmars on the west coast and was told there are none. The heat exchanger internals are cupronickel rather than the copper of most others so don't require an anode.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Me too, Phil, I recently spent 45 minutes looking for the transmission dipstick on my new pickup, there isn't one.
When I got my BMW X1 six years ago I popped the hood and looked around. After struggling for 10 minutes and not finding the engine oil dipstick, I opened the manual. Turns out there is none!! Only a sensor and a screen display buried in a menu. And an alarm. I guess they figure BMW owners are incapable of even simple maintenance. But overall a really dumb idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts