SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Learning the HARD way...
What are the vertical things? Sticks? I HOPE that is not the remains of a propeller shaft.

Registered
Wow. We get spoiled on fresh water. The prop on our catalina was mounted on a bronze shaft when we got it. No anode in sight and no easy way to mount one. Prop still looked like new. When I replaced the shaft with an Auqualoy shaft, I made sure the new one was cut so I could put a prop anode on it. Don't know if I could have continued to get away without one, but didn't want to find out.

Registered
The prop on our catalina was mounted on a bronze shaft when we got it.
While not all bronze is the same, I'm guessing the shaft and prop were close enough there wasn't an effective galvanic spread between the two. Once you put the stainless steel shaft in the water, with the presumably bronze prop, you definitely needed a sacrificial anode.

Dirt Free
While not all bronze is the same, I'm guessing the shaft and prop were close enough there wasn't an effective galvanic spread between the two. Once you put the stainless steel shaft in the water, with the presumably bronze prop, you definitely needed a sacrificial anode.
Real bronze props are actually quite rare. The vast majority are actually "maganese bronze" with a zinc content (35-38%) that puts them in the brass class. There are quite a few "naming" inconsistencies in the metalurgical world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts