SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on the bow of my boat about a foot and a half long with a shackle on it. Is this what the po most likely used to fly his spinniker? I never have yet and I know alot of folks use poles but never noticed anyone using a line?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Could be part of the tack line for an asymmetrical spinnaker
OR
if the boat uses hank-on jibs it could be part of the jib's cunningham / downhaul 'jack line'. The cunningham used to affect sail shape; the downhaul jack-line to get the sail down without having to go to the bow when dousing.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
We use a line similar to this on the boat I race on. We call it the "frackulator". Use it for sailing downwind. We attach it to the jib halyard, then crank down on the halyard. This, after easing the back stay, pulls the mast forward to get a bigger shoulder on the spin, I assume. So if the previous owner raced, he may have used that for this reason.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So I'm still a tad confused? Do I just attach this line to the tack or, I also have a tacker/strop, to go around my jib furler. do I use the tacker and attach the line to that. The line is about a foot and a half long and attached to a fixed point. or do I want a tack line that is led back to the cockpit so I can use the tacker and raise and lower the tack? Still have not raised the sail yet but might get a chance to today. If I use the tacker and attach said line to it , the tack would be about a foot and a half up the furler, if I just use that tack line alone then the tack would be about a foot and a half off the bow of the boat or I could use the tacker and attach a new tack line to it and through a block and back to the cockpit and be able to adjust the tack however I want. Just trying to see how the prievous owner was using it although he was in his upper 80's and some people I met that knew him said he never even used the spinnaker once.(brand new sail for me). Any help appreciated. I'll get a pic up later today.

·
Super Moderator
4,123 Posts
You can attach a line to the Boot ( Tacker) that goes around your furled head sail It doesn't have to be a fixed length allowing you to adjust the height.

It sounds like the OP simply set it up at the height he wanted and left it.

You can adjust at the bow, or bring it back..up to you.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have a similar line on my boat that simply attaches to the head of hanked-on sails to keep them from running up the headstay when the sail is lowered.

A tackline for an a-spin should be adjustable (from the cockpit optimally).

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
825 Posts
I noticed in another thread that your Jib does not have UV covers. Perhaps your PO took down the sail when not in use and used this thin line as a place holder for the jib halyard to prevent it from banging against the furler when not underway? The line seems too small for any load bearing. I wouldn't use that setup for a spin.

Edit: it could also be where you shackle the block for your guy lines should you use a tri radial spinnaker with a pole. You only have a cleat on the deck where those normally go, so that could be it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.