SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, not going to get a what is the best anchor thread going as we all have our own ideas and not one anchor does it all. Mine is 75lb CQR , holds good were were anchoring right now, Channel Islands, but is hard to set. Trick seems to be let sit for 20 mins then set it. Anyway, here is a question I would to get some input on. The CQR is very well made strong anchor and is a good buy used, new is to much for what you get, like most marine equipment. I think the problem getting the dang thing to set is the rotating shank as it dosen't force the tip into the bottom. Question is, what if the rotating joint was welded in place, make it a stright shank. I think would set better and still have good holding in most bottoms. I know about the 45 deg. pull and all that but when were 45 degs to one side of the anchor it's because of no wind and i have never pulled out the anchor drifting around on the hook with no wind.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Also, the welding would likely weaken the joint, which is likely the weakest point on the anchor to begin with. You'd be much better off selling the CQR and buying a Delta FastSet. A Rocna or Manson Supreme would be even better, but they're more expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.