SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week the bottom of our club C320 was (finally!) sodablasted and I went down to barrier coat the bottom. I read and re-read the directions.
So far so good. But Interlux says the recoat time for the temp that day was between 2 and 3 hours. Should be tacky or able to leave a thumbprint.
NOT, Hell by the time we finished rolling on a coat the place we had started was already dry to touch. (Less than 1.5 hours)
So we got 4 coats on and the next day I was putting on the 5th coat. Problem is you have to basically hotcoat the first coat of antifouling over top of the last coat of barrier coating before it is tack free. SUPPOSED to wait 5 hours.

Well that wasn't happening b/c of the aforementioned quick drying time.

So has anyone else had this experience? I kinda liked how well it worked and it wasn't hard to mix up (and yes I waited 20 min. for the induction process!).

What say y'all?

Just waiting to have the jackstands moved so I can go back and do those spots...

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
How long it takes to cure is highly temperature dependent. :)

·
One of None
8,236 Posts
it's great stuff otherwise! We did the 2000e last spring, not one blemish or blister showing (yet) only problem I've had is the bottom paint peeled off in a few spots over the winter. scraped a little and touched up the BP and we splashed last thursday! 2000 does cure allot faster then one expects.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I did my boat (a 25 footer) I sprayed the 2000E and by the time I was done one coat it was already dry. I just kept going till I used up all my 2000E which amounted to 5 coats. I alternated colours so I could see where I'd been and it was good. My anti-fouling is VC-17 and after one season there were absolutely no problems and looks good. Larry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts