SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of painting the inside of the lockers (mostly under seats/bunks) on my boat. It struck me that garage floor 1-part epoxy "paint" might be just the ticket. I saw some stuff at the local HomeDepot that was solid gray (no contrasting flakes, such as those found in many similar products), and thought that it would make pretty good "bilge paint". It should wear well, since it's made to take being walked and driven on. The only question might be how well it would stick to fiberglass.

Any thoughts?

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that the epoxy paint would be more durable. Cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think if it's exopy-based paint, it'll work out fine. I've tried outdoor paints for tennis courts and the results were fantastic. Sometimes it's worth it to look for products that don't have "marine" in the name ($$$). :)

·
Living the dream
350 Posts
I just refurbished my fibreglass pool and painted it with a two pack epoxy paint marketed especially for refinishing fibreglass and concrete pools. Had I not got the paint at almost half price I would probably have just gone with regular industrial two pack epoxy because I reckon it's all pretty much of a muchness. The last time I painted a bilge, I used Jotun High Build Primer which is a two pack epoxy. It was left over from painting the hull but worked perfectly nevertheless.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've gloss polyurethane exterior house paint! I used on an Eastporter I did over for my son! That was 16 yrs ago on the outside hull and the he just gave it to a guy local for him and the paint still had a fairly good gloss to it. I now use it to do what your talking about and you can't tell it from gel coat other than it not being as smelly! Cleans up with min. sprts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts