SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into tiller pilots but am not sure on sizing. The boat is 37' and is originally listed as 12000# displacement, however I am sure it is closer to 15000# now.

I have been looking at the Simrad TP32 and the Raymarine X5 Grand Prix. The Raymarine looks to be better sized for the boat, but is also a lot more money. I will be mainly using it for for motoring as we have about a 4 hour motor up the river to our marina. I was contemplating getting a smaller unit just for motoring, however I know I will want to use it for sailing in the future.

Any thoughts / recommendations if i were to go with the cheaper TP32? Will it last?

·
Hinterhoeller HR28
163 Posts
In my experience, bigger is always better with a tillerpilot. The TP32 will last, but may work harder. I have never seen any TP that was worn out. They have all had other problems that led to an early demise. Check the hardover times, and maximum thrust. You may find that the Simrad is conservatively rated -- in other words, better than they claim.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
999 Posts
I'd over buy. If you under buy, your real cost will be the price of the original pilot, the price of it's replacement, less what you can sell the under-sized pilot for to someone. (g)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.