SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Sounds like a viable plan to me. I got into the sailing lifestyle by wanting to be a live-aboard first, and boater second. I actually preferred the idea of a powerboat in the beginning, but found sailboats were curiously cheaper. I agree with what Donna suggests about getting a trawler or powerboat of some kind as you get a lot more room, windows etc in a powerboat. There are lots of Tolleycraft boats around with gas engines that can be had really cheap for example.

What worked for me, and what I recommend for you, is to pick your marina first, then pick your boat. You need to verify that you CAN liveabord where you want to. With your schedule, you may also not need to register as a liveaboard, as some places have a "less than 50% of time aboard" definition of a liveaboard vs non liveaboard.

You also need to make sure the marina(s) you desire don't have long waiting lists. I found that in my area there were 3-4 year waits for 40ft slips but only 3 month waits for 30ft slips. It directed me to buy a 30ft boat. Go to the marinas that you think may be good ones, and find the liveaboards at the laundromat at the marina. Ask them how they like this marina vs others.

MedSailor

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Take a close look at the beneteaus, Hunters and Catalinas. I would think that a transom that allows you to enter the water easily would be high on the list of necessities considering how important SCUBA diving is to you.

MedSailor

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.