SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
The video of the HMS Ontario is really cool. You can see how the topmasts were housed by the crew, but that she was still obviously overpowered by the storm that came up. She went down so smoothly that some of the glass in the quarter galleries is still intact. Sorry for the crew (apparently only one body was recovered), but her sinking helped slow British troop movements during the Revolution.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great lakes really has a fasinating history, I should do some reading

·
Registered
117 Posts
PDP,

If you want to do some reading, I think a great place to start would be a book called Lords of the Lake by Robert Malcomson. The book chronicles the struggle for naval supremacy on Lake Ontario during the war of 1812. The book is very well written, and Malcomson is a respected historian.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If you are interested in Great Lakes wrecks

or shipwrecks in general, there is an annual symposium on the subject. It is called (surprisingly) "Shipwrecks" and is held in Welland, Ontario every April. Topics range from commercial ships to military ones and even some other oddities (airplanes etc.)
The focus of the symposium is mostly diving, but the speakers are usually interesting enough and provide lots of historical information on the wrecks.
I'm pretty sure that there are similar shows around the Great lakes (I think there's one in Chicago).
Here is a website for Shipwrecks 2009 if you want any more info.

The Ontario Underwater Council also has a really cool resource: a directory of Great Lakes wrecks at Ontario Underwater Council, powered by Google Earth. There are many wrecks for which there is information - including GPS #'s!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
PDP,

If you want to do some reading, I think a great place to start would be a book called Lords of the Lake by Robert Malcomson. The book chronicles the struggle for naval supremacy on Lake Ontario during the war of 1812. The book is very well written, and Malcomson is a respected historian.

Thanks Farmboy, I'm going to get it

Was able to get it at amazon...........Thanks again

·
Registered
117 Posts
PDP,

That's great. I really enjoyed the book. I had no idea there was so much naval history on the great lakes.

flyingwelshman,

Thanks for the info. I'll be spending some time on the wrecks directory.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
If anybody ever locates the "Griffon", they will be many times richer.
She remains a mystery to this day.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had thought the location of the Griffon was discovered off Poverty Island back in 2001

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
The wreck off poverty island has not been confirmed as the Griffon, and further research has been tied up in legal red tape, including France getting involved with an application for salvage rights. I am not sure what the monetary value would be, since the only treasure reported aboard was a load of furs. The Atocha, she ain't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts